No service for iPhone three g s with AT&T? I get the same service as a 3g user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iforget123, Jul 17, 2009.

1. iforget123 macrumors newbie

I bought the iPhone 3gs but my thing next to AT&T says 3g not 3gs why is this?

Also is there a proper way to close apps other than clicking the home button?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

To force quit: Hold the power button until slide to unlock appears, then hold home button until the screen dissapears.

The 3GS service is the same as the 3G service (Other than it being a little faster), so the icon will be the 3G icon.

3GS is the name of the phone....3G is the name of a phone (iPhone 3G), and the service of data that AT&T uses nowadays.

3. iforget123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically the Internet speed is the same for both phones. Wow that was a great way to waste an extra 50 bucks. Anyway it's a pretty sweet phone. It's what I'm using to type this right now.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The "S" only refers to the phone model, not the network. However, at some point down the line, AT&T will upgrade the network and you'll get faster download speeds than the 3G can take advantage of.

Well, if that's the way you think about it, you can exchange it for the 3G, lose half your storage, lose the compass, voice command, and video. And it'll run slower.

Just sayin'... :D

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No.
    The iPhone 3G uses 3.6Mbps and the iPhone 3GS uses 7.2

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the S also stands for the doubled memory, significantly increased CPU and GPU speeds, and the openGL graphics

its not all about 3G speeds

7. Que macrumors 6502

or at least it will when the network supports it, as it stands they're both the same.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Pressing the home button instructs the app to close; it is the proper way. The other method mentioned above is for if apps crash.

9. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Which also yields faster web browsing, faster app launches and pictures (fb/myspace and other apps) loading faster even though the network isn't upgraded to 7.2 everywhere.