Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys and girls,

I have a three week old iPhone 4s which I got as an upgrade on my contract. I have noticed though it has gone into a "No Service" mode where I cannot make or receive calls. :confused:

The only way to correct this is to restart the device.

Is there a known problem on the iPhone regarding this? Or should I take a trip to an Apple store?

It doesn't happen a lot - but when it does and I haven't noticed it for a few hours, I get irritated with it.

R.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I tend to get the "no service" every now and then, but it's quick, and because i get awful reception in my home. Your problem sounds more hardware than anything. If you have the means, I would definitely suggest you take your phone to the Apple store and let them look at it. They may even just swap it out for a new one, so be sure to back up your phone to iTunes before you go, just to be on the safe side.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

Once my phone says "No service" It stays in that mode until I restart the device. :(

My only concern is that how do I 'prove' this to the people at the store as I am unable to replicate the problem at will?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Has this happened with other iPhones? You may be in an area where cellular service is dodgy. If that's the problem nothing you can really do.

If it's a problem with the phone, maybe the SIM card is loose. I would consider taking it to an Apple Store

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
This is my first iPhone, so can't comment on that. However, you may have a good point regarding the sim card. It's an old card I cut. Maybe I must just get an actual micro sim card.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Thanks for your reply.

Once my phone says "No service" It stays in that mode until I restart the device. :(

My only concern is that how do I 'prove' this to the people at the store as I am unable to replicate the problem at will?

Oh I hate to break it to you but if you search google you will find many people all over the world with this issue. I had it with a family members phone and its a nightmare to figure out what causes it. In the end I paid for an out of warranty replacement iPhone, AND I had the sim card replaced and it STILL happened! Explain that one!

Its wierd because if you search google you will find plenty of people with the exact same issue, however I have barely ever seen it mentioned on these forums.

Eventually the problem went away by itself (after a couple of months) for no apparent reason, and I could NOT get apple to refund the cost of the replacement iPhone I clearly didnt need.

EDIT: BTW the first Sim card was one I cut, the second was a micro sim on the same number, the 3rd was another micro sim on a different number. All of that combined with a handset replacement didnt fix it for me. I eventually came to the conclusion that it was a combination of an IOS software bug that only happens with certain cell configurations/providers under certain (unknown) circumstances.

Your best bet is to try another sim first and see how it behaves, you may be lucky.

Last edited:

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Oh I hate to break it to you but if you search google you will find many people all over the world with this issue. I had it with a family members phone and its a nightmare to figure out what causes it. In the end I paid for an out of warranty replacement iPhone, AND I had the sim card replaced and it STILL happened! Explain that one!

Its wierd because if you search google you will find plenty of people with the exact same issue, however I have barely ever seen it mentioned on these forums.

Eventually the problem went away by itself (after a couple of months) for no apparent reason, and I could NOT get apple to refund the cost of the replacement iPhone I clearly didnt need.

EDIT: BTW the first Sim card was one I cut, the second was a micro sim on the same number, the 3rd was another micro sim on a different number. All of that combined with a handset replacement didnt fix it for me. I eventually came to the conclusion that it was a combination of an IOS software bug that only happens with certain cell configurations/providers under certain (unknown) circumstances.

Your best bet is to try another sim first and see how it behaves, you may be lucky.

Thanks for your reply. Oddly enough, since I have made this post, it has not happened again to the iPhone. I will monitor it and just see how it goes for the next few days.

G-Giant88

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
I get this. I don't have to restart the device though. Simply switch airplane mode on then off again. Fixes the issue for me in about 5 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.