"No Signal"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j90chan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. j90chan macrumors newbie

I've noticed that after going into an area that doesn't have signal (my local supermarket) I get no signal which is fair enough. However as soon as I step back outside it continues to say "no signal" even after a good few minutes being outside.

The only way I can fix it is by turning my cellular data on and off, or restarting my phone.

I don't think it's a network issue, my friends has the exact same phone, white iPhone 5 and same network. Both on Orange but his seems to work after being in a no signal area.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this, it's so annoying.

2. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Yep.

I'm on my 5th iPhone 5, and on the 3 I actually used (2 were instant exchanges) I've seen this on them all.

Not a major problem, and it does eventually seem to kick back in, but very annoying. Also seen it on my girlfriends 4S since iOS6 so I suspect its software.

3. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

it happens...easiest way to remedy this is to just switch airplane mode on/off

4. j90chan thread starter macrumors newbie

So what would your recommendation be, wait for 6.0.1 to come out?

5. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I have the exact same issue with my iPhone 5 on Three.

I also had the issue with my iPhone 4S on Vodafone and my iPhone 3GS on O2.

So I'm just used to it.

Airplane mode on and off seems to work.

6. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Well I'm not sure its a recommendation, but thats what I'm going to be doing. It seems related to losing signal as you suggested, and I'm on EE, which is fairly robust, and limited the hassle.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It just seems to be how the iPhone is designed.

It uses a lot of power to scan for a network, so after a while it will give up if it can't find one. It should start looking again after a few minutes, but it doesn't seem to.

This seems to be happening a lot in the UK (particularly the London Underground), so I don't know if Apple hasn't tested something specific to our networks.

As mentioned above, turning Airplane Mode on and the off will cause the phone to look for a network again.