NO SIRI in Canada - BELL MOBILITY telling CANADIANS, SIRI not available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prynce, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Prynce macrumors member

I've been told by Bell Mobility after I place my preorder for 2 IPHONE 4S that the greatest feature of the IPHONE 4S called SIRI is not available in Canada for Canadian Apple Customers. Can anyone confirm this? Or did us Canadians get the American Corporate shaft again?

2. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

3. 2010RS macrumors 6502

we'll give you siri if you agree to take back justin bieber, celiene dion, and nickelback.

4. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I support this.

5. zipster macrumors 6502

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

According to news articles it is available, but not specialized for Canadian French, it only has regular and American English...so eh doesn't work!

7. Gavernty macrumors 6502

HAHAHHAHAHAHa

8. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Yes and no. Siri will be available, but it won't be tailored for Canada yet. So it won't understand our aboots and our ehs.

Seriously, it won't have integration of things like -where can I have lunch downtown. It'll probably pull up stuff from the nearest American city. But you will still be able to ask it the meaning of life and send a message to your wife etc...

9. araey macrumors newbie

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/05/siri-are-you-coming-to-canada

There was also another source that i can no longer find that says he was at the iPhone keynote and asked apple in person and they said siri will work in canada but just won't be localized.

So we should get it but we will have to choose US-English/French etc.

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

Apple must really hate Canada if they made it aavilable to the UK Australia, and Germany before they make it available to Canada which I must say would be less of a hassle localizing it to our needs. No offense to anyone (this is a joke by the way)

11. esmith macrumors member

Can't believe anyone would listen to a Bell mobility rep, or anyone that works at a call centre.

Apple already said it would be included as American English...

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This doesn't really make sense since it's possible to view a list of "restaurants near me" already. I imagine Siri is calling the same resources, so this shouldn't be a big deal... :)

13. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

If that's the case, then I would be upset. Oh yeah, Canadians can get the Canadian corporate shaft too! :D

I like Nickelback, so they are not part of the trade to Canada. :)

14. Prynce thread starter macrumors member

So I've recently found this post regarding the issue fyi, http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...-canada-yes-but-youll-have-to-use-us-english/

----------

Does it seem like I am listening to them or believing them since I am asking here about it? "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established" is a motto I live by to some degree, in other wards I like to make sure what someone is telling me is true or not.

15. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

16. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you guys would just loose your funny accents it would not be an issue!

.... jk ;)

As Siri is still in beta I am sure we will see it localized for many more regions soon. I'm sure there was only so many areas they could cover in time.

17. esmith, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

esmith macrumors member

Something tells me a google search could have answered that in the first place since that link is a week old.

It's the fact that you asked that you believed them at least long enough to write the post... Why ask in the first place when YOU should know call centre reps have NO info on this matter. :p

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Called up Apple customer services, they said Siri will not be available in Canada. :eek:

Also been hearing that Siri might be available in Canada, but won't be able to do any location based tasks. Is this true?

Can anyone who has access to an iPhone 4S in Canada confirm or deny this?

19. kunaalarria macrumors member

wait until tomorrow. It will be the first thing i check, and i may return it. If they give us a timeline and say by December we'll have siri it wouldn't be bad..but i don't want to wait a year for the functionality.

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Called up local Apple store too, looks like Siri isn't coming to Canada! And it's not coming to Japan either from the looks of it.

Very disappointing.

21. apchrist macrumors newbie

Apple Canada Press Release

http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2011/10/04Apple-Launches-iPhone-4S-iOS-5-iCloud.html

MARKHAM, Ontario—October 4, 2011—Apple today announced iPhone 4S, the most amazing iPhone yet, packed with incredible new features including Apple’s dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics; an all new camera with advanced optics; full 1080p HD resolution video recording; and Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

24. OSMac macrumors 65816

Just to be clear,
    SIRI works out of the box with any Canadian 4S just have to enable it in settings.

Siri with Maps / Directions is only available in the US.