Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
For unknown reasons my mid-2012 MBP sometimes wakes from sleep while the lid is closed and doesn't go back to sleep.
I'll check the System Monitor column next time.

jhkuo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
For unknown reasons my mid-2012 MBP sometimes wakes from sleep while the lid is closed and doesn't go back to sleep.

Did you happen to enable "Power Nap"?

I am not sure if it's related to your issue, but I found with Power Nap enabled, UserEventAgent would appear not to prevent sleep (i.e. pmset -g would not report "sleep prevented by UserEventAgent"). However, my iMac will wake up randomly after some time after it has entered sleep state, and it will then be unable to fall back to sleep (display will be off, but fan remains on)

Last edited:

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Did you happen to enable "Power Nap"?

I am not sure if it's related to your issue, but I found with Power Nap enabled, UserEventAgent would appear not to prevent sleep (i.e. pmset -g would not report "sleep prevented by UserEventAgent"). However, my iMac will wake up randomly after some time after it has entered sleep state, and it will then be unable to fall back to sleep (display will be off, but fan remains on)

Don't have that option.

jhkuo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009

In my case, iMac does go to sleep automatically but it also wakes up randomly...

vvapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2017
World
Actually I am having this kind of an issue since Mojave. I hoped it would get fixed with Catalina but it didn’t.
My iMac (Fusion Drive) seems to be either on or completely in a sleeping mode. There is no such a state like Power Nap anymore. Sometimes the display is not turned on but the machine is heavily running during the whole night.. it never rests.. and that’s for over a year now.

I already tried PRAM reset but that didn’t help. Any Ideas?

• Sad
Reactions: jhkuo

Mightee

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2004
I'm on 10.15.2 and still can't even get the display to go to sleep while Music is playing. Hell, the screen saver doesn't even kick in! This is getting really annoying.

rgwoehr

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I've got a 2017 iMac 5K, and have noticed the computer not staying asleep since updating to Catalina. I put it to sleep, it wakes a minute later for a minute, goes back to sleep and seems to sleep for around 30 minutes and wakes again. Sometimes it goes back to sleep, most of the time it doesn't.I've tried disconnecting all cables but the power cable, disabling AirPort and bluetooth, disabling wake for network access and power nap, disabling wake on bluetooth, all at once and also tried each separately. I've reset the SMC and PRAM a few times. I even did a clean install on a separate partition and installed no apps and didn't log in to iCloud and it wouldn't stay asleep.

This morning, when I checked the assertions, the only thing it showed preventing idle sleep was handoff, which is weird to me because I saw that assertion before I put it to sleep last night and disabled handoff. I'm currently downloading Mojave to install that on a separate partition and see if it is something in Catalina that I'm fighting, or if it's something else.

jhkuo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
This morning, when I checked the assertions, the only thing it showed preventing idle sleep was handoff, which is weird to me because I saw that assertion before I put it to sleep last night and disabled handoff. I'm currently downloading Mojave to install that on a separate partition and see if it is something in Catalina that I'm fighting, or if it's something else.

I have also restored my 2017 5k iMac to Mojave for comparison, sleep worked perfectly on it.

In Catalina, UserEventAgent processes prevent my iMac entering sleep unless i kill them twice...

This issue is specific to the iMac. Catalina works perfectly on all my MacBook Air and MacBook Pros.

rgwoehr

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I have also restored my 2017 5k iMac to Mojave for comparison, sleep worked perfectly on it.

In Catalina, UserEventAgent processes prevent my iMac entering sleep unless i kill them twice...

This issue is specific to the iMac. Catalina works perfectly on all my MacBook Air and MacBook Pros.

Same here, I downgraded and it’s working perfectly. I tested Catalina on my hackintosh before upgrading the iMac and had no issues with sleep. Probably just gonna stay on Mojave for a while. I have Photoshop CS5, and there was a workaround for getting it to open but after 10.15.2, it gives me a malware warning when I try to open it.

• Sad
Reactions: jhkuo

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Same issue with my 2013 iMac. Can't put it to sleep at all. Power it off is the new Sleep mode? LOL
Was on the phone with Apple Support they tried to blame the file system I'm guessing because they had me load a report and it took forever (25 min). When it collected the data it said the data file was 242.4 MB.
Apple Support said that's huge for an iMac that has only had Catalina installed on it for a week.
I told them I wiped the drive and did a Clean install and did not use any backups. Performed said process twice using. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 and wiping the drive using Disk Utility.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Also happens with my 2012 Mini and just live with it. I try to manually put it to sleep before stepping away. It turns (and stays) on with WiFi network access, I know. Maybe a future OSX release will resolve this.

Last edited:

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Also happens with my 2012 Mini and just live with it. I try to manually put it to sleep before stepping away. It turns (and stays) on with WiFi network access, I know. Maybe a future OSX release will resolve this.
I can try manually and it goes into Sleep Mode for a total of 1.5 seconds.

I also understand it's not just the iMac but in most of the forums I've read I'd say it's just about any Mac running Catalina. Some are having the opposite issues of not being able to wake from sleep.
Not interested in going back to Mojave because it was buggy the whole time. So much so I went back to El Capitan until Catalina was released.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I can try manually and it goes into Sleep Mode for a total of 1.5 seconds.

I also understand it's not just the iMac but in most of the forums I've read I'd say it's just about any Mac running Catalina. Some are having the opposite issues of not being able to wake from sleep.
Not interested in going back to Mojave because it was buggy the whole time. So much so I went back to El Capitan until Catalina was released.

Good point. When I put my Mini to sleep manually, it might very well be waking up moments later. I need to recheck this based on your experience. Can't assume it behaves itself and stays asleep.

Edit: Just checked. Manually put it to sleep yesterday and still sleeping today. At least that. But won't go to sleep on its own as everyone is reporting.

Last edited:

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Edit: Just checked. Manually put it to sleep yesterday and still sleeping today. At least that. But won't go to sleep on its own as everyone is reporting.

Lucky you. I've tried it all. Unplugged everything. Disconnected all devices and turned off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.
Nothing works.
If this was an iPhone issue Apple would've already released a fix.They don't seem to get in a hurry with Macs.

Two other things I have issues with is when I click on Mail I have to click it 3-5 times to make it open and I can't change the name of my Apple Magic Bluetooth Keyboard. Strange?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Lucky you. I've tried it all. Unplugged everything. Disconnected all devices and turned off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.
Nothing works.
If this was an iPhone issue Apple would've already released a fix.They don't seem to get in a hurry with Macs.

Two other things I have issues with is when I click on Mail I have to click it 3-5 times to make it open and I can't change the name of my Apple Magic Bluetooth Keyboard. Strange?

That is strange. Mail shouldn't act that weird. And you're right that iPhone gets immediate attention as the big money-maker. Hopefully the next few releases will resolve much of this for the Mac.

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Catalina Update 10.15.3 released. Installing now. Let's cross our fingers

UPDATE: 10.15.3 = FAIL

Last edited:

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
how can these same problems just never go away... lol. just be glad you are using a mini or imac that is always plugged in. energy efficiency be damned according to apple. they already make the greenest machines on the planet, https://www.apple.com/ca/environment/ what's a little more power consumption gonna do.

beside, a fusion drive that's always on must be good for the hdd with less spinning on and off.
i have laptops that's still on el cap and older, anything newer just kill the battery life. I just have to rely on firefox or chrome to keep updating, but yolo or whatever

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Well the problem there is the Display. When it stays on say 12+ hours 365 days a year the Display will go out sooner battery or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.