Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Okay. I think I fixed it. Fingers Crossed..... I did a clean install (CMD+OPT+R will install 10.15.3) once again and the only things I've downloaded are the Chrome browser, Brother Printer drivers and Flash Player. I don't use anything else non-Apple. SLEEP MODE is working now.
When wiping the SSD/HD you have to erase both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data then you HAVE TO RIGHT CLICK AND CLICK Delete APFS Volume on both. This will remove them and when you Rename the new drive to Macintosh HD or SSD it will remount and rename the drive. EXIT out and then click Install macOS Catalina. Takes about an hour total but my iMac no goes into sleep mode.
Deleting the APFS Volume keeps it from making a duplicate drive name. In Disk Utility it will show 2 of each drive if you don't delete the APFS Volumes. 4 total.

Last edited:
Reactions: coder21

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Unbelievable, still no fix. Just came into my office with my iMac and screen alive and kicking, while it is set to go to sleep in 10 minutes.

Thanks, Apple.

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
clean install (CMD+OPT+R will install 10.15.3)
If you use a backup it will still cause problems. This is a simple fix but takes about 45-60 minutes.
Then keep track of the software or apps you load onto the Mac or iMac or MacBook. If it starts doing it again you'll know what caused it.
YOU HAVE TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL and you can't put things back on with any backups or Time Machine and you have to delete and unmount the Drives you see in Disk Utility. They will remount when you rename the Drive and then it will create 2 drives. Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data

The only thing I loaded back on mine is Ad-Block Plus, Brother Printer drivers and the Google Chrome browser. Everything like photos is on iCloud and Photos. I never leave important files on my Mac I place them on an external drive and unplug it when not using it.

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I was hoping 10.15.4 would help with sleep. My late 2015 iMac Retina will not sleep on its own. I don't want to do a clean install and possibly lose important files. Any suggestions?

coder21

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2018
ATX
I was hoping 10.15.4 would help with sleep. My late 2015 iMac Retina will not sleep on its own. I don't want to do a clean install and possibly lose important files. Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat (with an older Mac mini, 2014) and also having the same sleep issue. Not sure I want to wipe it just yet too.
[automerge]1585246192[/automerge]
I'm in the same boat (with an older Mac mini, 2014) and also having the same sleep issue. Not sure I want to wipe it just yet too.
If someone figures this out (in lieu of a full wipe) that would be awesome.

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Ladies and Gentlemen there is only ONE true fix. I've been on the phone with Apple support for hours off and on during all of February as they called me and asked what I did to fix it step by step.
The best thing to do is backup your personal data to the cloud or to an external drive. You don't want to reinstall what caused the problem. My problem was after a clean install the files from Apples website installed something that created a huge file. 444MB after a clean install. Should've been less than 50MB is what Apple techs told me. You can reinstall any apps you had one at a time and that will help you figure out what's causing the issue. A rogue app wasn't my issue it was a corrupt file loaded onto my iMac from the Apple website.

The steps:
I did a clean install (Option-Command-R will install 10.15.4 from the internet)
When wiping the SSD/HD you have to erase both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data then you HAVE TO RIGHT CLICK AND CLICK Delete APFS Volume on both. This will remove them and when you Rename the new drive to Macintosh HD or SSD it will remount and rename the drive. EXIT out and then click Install macOS Catalina.
Deleting the APFS Volume keeps it from making a duplicate drive name. In Disk Utility it will show 2 of each drive if you don't delete the APFS Volumes. 4 total.
Takes about an hour total.

Here I am, Joe nobody giving a resolution to Apple supports top Tech Advisors. Should I have charged them?

To date they still can't find any other way to fix this problem.

SLEEP MODE is working now.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Found this thread today. I have the same problems with my 2015 5K iMac But don’t have the time to do complex clean installs. My Mac even won’t go to sleep after the time I set up. Just the display goes black. So let’s hope for the Next update. Until then I turn the Mac off completly every time I dont Need it for a longer time.

Reactions: jhkuo

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
This is about the screen going dark or what some call going to sleep. There are other settings to control what's put to sleep. This is how mine is set.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 4.43.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 4.43.11 PM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 377

jhkuo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Found this thread today. I have the same problems with my 2015 5K iMac But don’t have the time to do complex clean installs. My Mac even won’t go to sleep after the time I set up. Just the display goes black. So let’s hope for the Next update. Until then I turn the Mac off completly every time I dont Need it for a longer time.

I have identical issue with my 2017 iMac (other MBP/MBAs I own are fine). The only way I can fix this (despite numerous reinstalls and AFS volume deletes) is by killing the UserEventAgent processes twice (just once doesn't work) like so

ps -ef | grep UserEventAgent | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'| sudo xargs kill -9

after every reboot...

Last edited:

throwinrocks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
None of that worked for me. The steps I posted worked and I have not had any issues since.

LeifJakobsen

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Fixed this on my 2015 5K iMac by shutting it down, unplug power cord for 10 sec and then power it back on.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This is about the screen going dark or what some call going to sleep. There are other settings to control what's put to sleep. This is how mine is set.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here. You state that sleep is now working for you but you have “Prevent the computer from automatically going to sleep” enabled. Do you manually put your computer to sleep? If you don’t then all you are doing is having the screen go off but the computer actually never sleeps. That option tells the OS to never allow the computer to go to sleep.

What happens if you disable that option, does the computer go to sleep?

Last edited:

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I have identical issue with my 2017 iMac (other MBP/MBAs I own are fine). The only way I can fix this (despite numerous reinstalls and AFS volume deletes) is by killing the UserEventAgent processes twice (just once doesn't work) like so

ps -ef | grep UserEventAgent | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'| sudo xargs kill -9

after every reboot...

Thanks this helped me a lot and "solves" my problem. Did anyone test with 10.15.5 yet?

Reactions: jhkuo

sohojmanush

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Dhaka
Sleep issue also persists in 10.15.6. This time either handoff or parsec-fbf.
Code:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.parsec-fbf.plist
doesn't work anymore. Only way my mac slept well when SIP is disabled. After re-enabling SIP again disabled sleep function too.

big610

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2016
This is a different related problem.
Began after the macOSUpdate 10.15.6 Catalina Supplemental August 13 2020.
Mac Mini won't even go to sleep. Monitor is dark, power lite remain solid white, unit is still powered on, all evident with temperature proving its on & every other item running.

sohojmanush

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Dhaka
Sleep working since last night on 10.15.6 (mac mini 2012). Here is what I did, disabled SIP, ran:
Code:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.parsec-fbf.plist
didn't flashed the cache. Reboot into recovery, enabled SIP without clearing "csrutil clear". Then some where in between entered "ps -ef | grep UserEventAgent | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'| sudo xargs kill -9" and got frustrated with sleep and shut it down. Btw, @big610 on 10.15.6 sometimes even the monitor doesn't goes dark after pressing "Ctrl+cmmd+Q".

jhkuo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
The iMac sleep problem is finally fixed in the latest Big Sur beta. My iMac can automatically go into sleep mode again. ?

quadrifoglio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
None of that worked for me. The steps I posted worked and I have not had any issues since.

Your "solution" is not a solution. I have over 100 GB in applications and to reinstall the complete system it would take two days only to reinstall everything and one more day to set everything works as before. Probing app by app to see which one causes this problem will make it last 3 months and even then it is not guaranteed I will find the app causing it.
This does not happen on Mojave or any other previous OS version so it is a Catalina bug.

Furby2005

macrumors member
May 9, 2019
Surrey, UK
Okay, so I thought I'd give Catalina another try on my 2012 Mac mini Server now we're up to 10.15.7 which will probably be the final version. It's been working fine with Mojave, sleeping as it should, but I'd really like it to run the latest OS that it should be capable of running. After a clean install of the latest version of Catalina, not only did it not sleep at all but, after a couple of days not being touched, it was still too hot to touch, despite there being no obvious activity showing. Put it back to Mojave again and all is well again. Looks like this Mac will never see Catalina and will have to be forever stuck on Mojave.

Reactions: quadrifoglio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.