no sound from headphone jack of new rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrSubC, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MrSubC macrumors newbie

With my previous RMBP, I used an optical cable to connect it (thru the headphone jack) to my audio receiver in conjunction with an HDMI cable and audio/video was ok.

Now with my new rMB, using exactly the same configuration above, there is no sound. What is the difference between the two headphone ports of the rMBP and rMB? Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. MrSubC thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional info: In System Prefs/Sound, the Digital Sound output does not come up anymore in the rMB unlike in the rMBP in which it did whenever the rMBP is connected to the audio receiver.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I dont believe the Retina MacBook has S/PDIF optical output. You can see in System Information - Audio Devices, there is no hardware, nor am I aware of Apple stating the new MacBook has optical out.

Q-6

4. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

If you just compare the Tech Specs pages (on Apple's website) for the rMB and the rMBP, you'll see the difference immediately. rMBP includes support for Line Out (digital/analog), where the rMB does not.

I assume that you did not try plugging in a standard set of headphones to your rMB to see if they worked? That would've been the first thing to try... If you didn't, why did you title this thread the way that you did? "No optical audio..." or, "Does the new rMB support optical audio?" would've been a more accurate description of your concern. I doubt that your headphone jack is faulty. It's probably just working as designed.