No sound from iPhone 4 receiver

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dandrews524, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

so i usually use my blue tooth when making or receiving calls, but when i recently tried to answer a call normally, i could not hear a thing. so i hit the speaker button and i was able to use the speaker just fine, with no issues at all. but when im making or receiving a call using the phone normally i dont hear anything at all. i found this quite strange because when my AT&T rep was setting it up, he used the phone to call some number and it worked fine. ive looked through tons of threads but have only found similar issues with the 3g and 3gs, and none of those solutions worked for me. any ideas guys?

2. xxjonoxx macrumors regular

xxjonoxx

I'm sure this is not your problem at all, but since I did it.. maybe someone else has too. When I first got the phone, on the way home I tried to call someone. They answered the phone, but I couldn't hear them when holding the phone to my ear. I turned the volume up and nothing.. then I realized you can't hear anything if you still had the screen cover they used for packaging on the front of the phone. It covers the receiver hole. I felt really dumb for a few minutes after that. :rolleyes:

3. Dandrews524 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol i actually thought of that before i posted and then double checked again just to make sure i didnt look like an idiot before making this thread. the help is much appreciated though.

4. Shinksmeister macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same thing with mine. Plugged it into Itunes, set it up, put loads of music etc on it then discovered it had no sound from the earpiece :( then to add insult to injury Orange wouldn't swap the handset for me and has a terrible returns service which will take ages. Apple do make things very hard cos any other defective phone can just be swapped on the spot. Very annoyed :mad: so you've probably gotta return it dude. Post how you get on.

5. Dandrews524 thread starter macrumors 6502

so what did you do with yours? did u end up taking it back? another funny thing is i can hear the numbers when i am dialing, so i know the receiver works. im just super disappointed

6. bryanwebster macrumors newbie

same issue

Hi I have got the exact same issue, talked to apple care and he seemed to indicate it was a common fault as well as people returning phones where the camera doesnt work

7. Dandrews524 thread starter macrumors 6502

its not that im glad that you guys' phone is also messed up, but im glad its not just me. i just got off the phone with apple and they told me to ship the phone to them so they can send me a new one. the lady said about 3-5 days till i get it back. im really bummed cause im always defending apple when people talk trash, now ill never hear the end of it from my friends that gave me crap when i HAD to have the iphone 4. oh well, id rather have a semi working iphone than any kind of android phone.

8. Shinksmeister macrumors newbie

Yep, it's in a padded envelope on its way back. My defective handset won't be received until monday/tuesday and i bet i'm not exactly at the top of their list to ship a replacement to, if they have any stock that is.

I couldn't hear anything at all from the earpiece, not even number presses. Also several apps don't seem to run on OS4.0.

Apple certainly seem to give with one hand and take with the other. I wish i didn't want the damn thing so bad or i'd tell em to stick it.

I'll post any correspondence i have regarding my replacement. Good luck you guys, i hope you get results too.

9. Dandrews524 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i over-nighted the phone to apple this morning, then went to at&t to get a pos flip phone to use till it gets back. i am super bummed and super worried that apple is going to send me another phone with some other weird issues :(

10. Dandrews524 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i finally got it back today. just had to take it to at&t and get a new mini sim. works like a charm and didnt even take 5 days. i was super impressed with the way apple handled this.

11. otosan macrumors newbie

Same problem here..., my 3 days old iPhone 4 also suffering same symptomp, no voice coming at all from ear reciever...

didn't notice this problem directly since i morely plug the earbud to my phone when call someone...

after browse here and there finally i decide to open up my device following the guide from ifixit.com

only need less than half hour to notice that apple is "Smart & In Hurry" enough when assembly my phone, since my receiver metal pin was not properly connected to logic board... :mad:

after pull a bit the metal pin, re- assembly, finally can smile back when hearing the woman voice of voice mail box appearing from my ear receiver...

hope apple take a note on this kind of thing, since i buy unlocked unit from UK to brought it to asia, it's gonna be painfull in the as* if i need to send back every unit to uk just because this problem...

12. supacamps macrumors newbie

No Sound Iphone 4

I have to say i'm one of the lucky ones who purchase the IPHONE 4 online, so i have 7 days to decide.
    I had the iphone 4 for 3hrs 37 minutes before i was trying to speak T-mobile regarding the issue on no or low sound on the speaker.
    All networker providers are aware of this issues, but MIGHTY APPLE are refusing to recall the product.
    Between T-MOBILE,ORANGE,VODAFONE and O2 of purchased over 1 million products. All network providers have paid upfront for the hottest product on the market and because of this your network provider is trying to sell you a faulty product.
    When receiving calls on my Iphone, i can only here the caller if i but it on loud speaker. T-mobile advised me to continue answering my phone this way until APPLE have rectified this issue.

I have to say IPHONE 4 is great multimedia device, but as a phone a waste of time.

BOTTOM LINE, STAY AWAY FROM THE IPHONE 4, WAIT INTIL ALL THE GERMLNS HAVE BEEN FIXED. :mad:

13. shon9tilr macrumors newbie

I had this same problem for months where I always had to use the speaker and everyone heard my convos! I blew into the receiver hole at the top and then held down the reset and home button. It's working again. Thanx guys!!