No sound from line out and a red light in optical line out

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ana, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ana macrumors newbie

I've had this problem since Friday with my Mac Pro (March 2009) and haven't been able to solve it.

On Friday my speakers suddenly stopped working. After first having confirmed that the speakers were working with another source, I tried headphones both in frontal headphone slot and with the analog line out in the back, both without success. There's a red light in the optical audio out, indicating that it's on for some reason, although I have selected different audio out source. The internal speaker works just fine, only the normal audio out doesn't give me anything.

I found a thread in the MBP section similar to this problem, but solutions for MBP didn't work.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it? Any hint or advice would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment I don't have the time to send my Mac to repair. Thanks!

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

The red optical light is always on, regardless of your chosen source.

What happens when you change the sources in the Sound System Preference?

Loa

3. Ana thread starter macrumors newbie

When I change to internal speaker the speaker just works, but when I change back the audio out still doesn't give me anything. I don't know about optical audio out as I don't have anything to test it with.

4. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Did you check the "Audio Midi Setup" Settings on your mac ? Which outputs are active there ?