Resolved No sound on calls iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dpierre, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dpierre, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

dpierre macrumors regular

When I place or receive calls I hear nothing on speaker and only static from the earpiece. The person on the other line says they hear me just fine. I just encountered the problem this morning, my phone was working fine last night. I have never dropped the phone or got it wet. I see there is a 58+ page thread on apples support forum, but there doesn't seem to be a fix.

FYI I did 2 restores and it didn't fix anything :(

2. madKIR macrumors 6502

It's 100% hardware!
    And I know what I'm talking about: I've had 4 iPhone 4S's, 2 of them suffered this issue while 2 others didn't. All of them were restored from the same back-up, so it has nothing to do with software.
    Return it and get a new one.

3. dpierre thread starter macrumors regular

After the second restore it still didn't work. I connected my bluetooth earpiece and suddenly my audio works. It's probably a software glitch or something. Very annoying. The only changes I can see recently is I synced to itunes for the first time with this 4s last night and turned off my bluetooth earpiece. Then the problem started.

4. dpierre thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm back again. I turned off my Bluetooth earpiece to charge it and the problem started again. I thought reconnecting it would work but it doesn't. I get no audio from the handset, speaker, Bluetooth, or a wired headset. I need to go buy a working phone ASAP.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

If you're in the NJ/NY area, there is a network outage right now.

6. dpierre thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not trying to be rude but what does that have to do with the issue? My mom's iPhone 4 works fine and we both have AT&T. I am having issues with incoming audio. My data works fine and everyone says they can hear me, but I can't hear them no matter what I try.

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Because you said this just happened today, and there is an outage in the East Coast right now. Data, text, and outgoing voice works; but the caller cannot hear anything on their side.

Every single AT&T iPhone at my hospital is experiencing this issue right now, so I figured since I've been dealing with it all morning I give you the heads up.

:rolleyes:

8. dpierre thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks a lot. I hope this issue gets resolved soon.

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, but the OP said there was a 58+ page thread on the same issue. You think 58 pages worth all got posted today?

This has been an issue since launch day. The 58 page thread started Oct 17.

My second 4s has the issue, as did my first (bought ten days ago). I'm returning it and waiting until they fix the problem or I'll wait til iPhone 5.

The thread on apple.com
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404857?start=90&tstart=0

10. dbit macrumors regular

This is a known problem, believed to be a hardware audio receiver switching problem. I've waited for more info, but at this point it appears to be a hardware problem affecting a small number of units and replacement has been recommended by some. A few apple employees have admitted to knowing about the problem while most remain clueless. I'm about to replace mine.

11. madKIR macrumors 6502

As I said it's hardware!!!
    I had 4 units: 2 had this issue while 2 other units didn't have it at all. All units were running the same software and were restored from the same back-up.
    Don't fool yourself: go swap it!