No "special/one more thing" feature for iPhone 5?

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Just like the new iPad, Apple won't have a "special" feature for the iPhone 5.

Just the key features (based on leaks)
1. 4-inch Retina display
2. Dual-core A5X chip
3. 4G LTE
4. iOS 6
5. FaceTime HD camera
6. Thinner, lighter design

I know the iPhone 4S had Siri and iPhone 4 had FaceTime, but do you think Apple is done with the "one more thing"?

I mean some people have really high expectations and want something like 128GB, NFC, over 4-inch screen, 3D display/photographs, etc.

Not saying Apple won't do those, but based on the iPhone 4S and iOS 6...is it smart to get hope all up for those cool and new tech?

Tons of people were disappointed with iOS 6...

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It would be really nice to see the "one more thing" be storage upgrades. I get the base phone being 16GB. Now ditch the 32GB and make the next two models 64GB and 128GB at the same price.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I'd like to see a floating social networking app that operates over Bluetooth 4.0.

Otherwise, the hardware looks really disappointing...for the second straight frickin' year!

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Jeeez, wait till the phone and features are announced - then complain about something real. You're complaining about rumors.

yaymath

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
"One more thing" had always been Steve Jobs's specialty. I don't think anyone but him has ever done it. And while I doubt that they will hold off a key new feauture until the very end, I believe that it's quite possible for them to announce something or some things that no one has expected to be on the new iPhone.

ATLCarGuy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
I know it probably won't happen, but I'd love to see an iPhone model with a physical keyboard.

If not a physical keyboard, an on-screen keyboard with haptic feedback. I have big fingers and it would make typing a whole lot easier.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
One more thing... Star Wars-esque holographic video calls.
that would be amazing lol

Otherwise, the hardware looks really disappointing...for the second straight frickin' year!
do you mean physical appearance? b.c the hardware from the 4 to the 4S was a big leap....new cpu, gpu, and camera.....

I know it probably won't happen, but I'd love to see an iPhone model with a physical keyboard.

If not a physical keyboard, an on-screen keyboard with haptic feedback. I have big fingers and it would make typing a whole lot easier.
That would be horrifically bad! You are definitely in the minority there.

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
The examples you listed - Siri and FaceTime - are both software features. There have been fairly little amount of information about new software features for the new iPhone. The only one I've heard about is a different Passbook for the new iPhone due to its NFC chip. But the NFC chip may not be even happening!

c2c4c

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
With memory being so cheap, it would be pretty sad for them not to upgrade the base model to 32GB. I know they are pushing for cloud storage, though, so it may not happen.

I'm looking forward to hearing the keynote, I must say!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The examples you listed - Siri and FaceTime - are both software features. There have been fairly little amount of information about new software features for the new iPhone. The only one I've heard about is a different Passbook for the new iPhone due to its NFC chip. But the NFC chip may not be even happening!
NFC is not happening. If I had to guess, it'll be features based on Wifi Direct, which is supposed to be in the new Wifi chip Apple will be using. AirPlay Direct, as reported yesterday, and maybe NFC-like features in the form of AirDrop.

And maybe FaceTime group chat, if we're lucky. Would be a nice use of the new screen real estate.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
so true.
im excited to see the software that apple has built for the 4" screen!
and, im a fan of the new hardware, thinner is always better as far as im concerned.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I meant the physical keyboard, and as long as you had the option to turn haptic off that would be cool with me :)
Agreed, on both accounts. The haptic feature is where the phone vibrates slightly when you press a key? Like the Blackberry Storm did? and a lot of the Droids have??

Assuming I am right, I will pass on that feature. I am using the GS3 right now, swipe to text is great, but I could do without the small vibrations when I hit buttons.