No startup chime on late 2008 MBP, O/S sound is working fine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Jul 3, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Here's a bit of a strange one, noticed over the last couple of days that the start up chime was getting quieter, then today no sound what so ever when turning it on.

Now from my understanding of it, the chime is a bit like a POST beep on a PC? Hear it once and every thing's fine? Otherwise the MBP is booting up fine, dual booting it and have sound in OS X and Win 7?!

Suspect I may have a HDD issue, as had to run chkdsk /f /r the other day and had to stop it after 12 hours as it was still on stage 4 of 5 @ 18%, and it seems to be running slower, also the HDD is becoming more vocal.

I'm going to run a full AHT on the unit, was just wondering if anyone else has come across something like this before?

2. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Is your volume controller in osx muted? You can make the chime louder by turning up the voulme in osx

3. tastychicken macrumors member

This. Whatever you set your volume in OSX is how loud your chime is gonna be, so if it's mute, the chime will be mute. I personally mute the chime because it annoys me.

4. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Cheers guys, volume was muted in OS/X :eek: been using Win 7 for work this week using Office 07, so hadn't thought to check Leopard, d'oh

5. Mighuel macrumors member

Nice that you got your problem fixed! :) ..Regarding this I'd like to share one of my experiences that might help in a little different scenario. I lost startup chime when OS X was not muted. The problem however was fixed by resetting PRAM.