No such thing as martial law in the United States

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Apr 11, 2016.

1. moonman239, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

moonman239 macrumors 68000

I just came on here to correct a slight misunderstanding by conservatives in general. Technically, the President has no power to place the country under martial law. The closest he can come to is a suspension of one's privilege to "habeas corpus" - basically, the right of a court to determine the validity of your detention - and that's only possible "in times of rebellion, when the public safety shall require it".

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

No it will be called a "State of Emergency".

And whether or not the government has the constitutional authority to do it is not relevant. Once it is happening there is very little the citizens can do about it. Maybe I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but why are government agencies that have no law enforcement role buying up millions of rounds of ammunition?

It might not happen this year or next year, but I predict that sometime in the next 10-15 years, there is going to be revolt against the government and millions of lives will be lost.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.aclu.org/news/president-obama-signs-indefinite-detention-bill-law
    you are wrong.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Find
    Every
    Mexica
    Available.

easy, go to a Quinceañera :p

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

So REX84 and NSPD51/HSPD20 are works of fiction?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I prefer Quintana Roo!

...which, by the way, wins every award for Best Name For A State Ever.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This might surprise you, but, DHS, DOJ, etc. buy 100+ millions rounds of ammunition -- every year!

Source:

http://www.politifact.com/oregon/st...ment-stockpiling-hundreds-millions-rounds-am/

Only, the thing is that with about 140,000 uniformed officers taking their turn at the range every year, it adds up. It looks like the average is on the order of 1000 rounds per year per officer. Doesn't actually seem like that much compared to what gun nuts post on YouTube. From the above source:

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

They all have law enforcement roles; though the individual jurisdiction may be very small. If an agency doesn't have to rely on the FBI to initiate a fraud investigation, it's ahead of the game.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Directive 51. Come on OP, have you not played the Division yet?

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Which conservatives and which slight misunderstanding. Where is this even a topic?