No Surprise - Trump doesn't want Mueller to testify

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, May 5, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

What about transparency and his previous comments about not having a problem with him testifying. I thought Mueller's report was a complete and total exoneration? Did Barr's testimony going "south" change his tune? Also - he needs to stop with the talk about cost since the investigation likely turned a profit. And the lie about it being handled by 18 Trump Hating Angry Dems. He's claiming these same people exonerated him.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 6.34.59 PM.png

2. Krayzkat Suspended

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he has a point, but it would be far better if Mueller DID testify, get things over with. transparency wise, took wikileaks to get any transparency out of the community organizers administration.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

It is funny how he touts the cost of the investigation while conveniently leaving out the fact that the US government made a profit on the assets seized from “the best people”

But that’s okay, I wouldn’t expect his hard core deplorable fan base to either know or care. Regular conservative leaning folks I know that did vote for him (and actually support some of his policy like the trade deficit with china) don’t believe the ******** that comes out of #derangedDonald’s mouth.

5. Zenithal macrumors G3

If you're innocent, why are you worried? You should be delighted to have him testify and fully exonerate you in front of the American people or however much know CSPAN still exists.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    I could see him testifying in the Senate. Maybe.
    After seeing the latest round with Barr I have concerns on civility.
    When it comes to the House ... Nadler is out of control.

What I am not seeing from either venue at the moment is a desire to discuss the facts. Without that Mueller testifying is of dubious value for anything other than "member grandstanding".

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The reason to have Mueller testify is to actually discuss the facts and to make more of the general public aware of what’s in the report. By all indications, very few people have actually read the Mueller report. Most people are going by the very inaccurate and superficial media and Barr summaries.

8. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You would think Trump would be happy to hear another public exoneration from Mueller on the House floor for all the world to see and hear. Oh wait...

9. raqball macrumors 68000

I think he needs to testify and explain why he left so much unanswered... If he thinks Trump committed a crime(s) but he didn't pursue them for whatever reason then he needs to articulate that...

The senate won't be much better than the house as we saw with the Kavanaugh confirmation fiasco but the man needs to be asked questions and give his answers...

Trump's constant tweets on the subject and his victory tour rallies were a mistake in my opinion...

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

DoJ policy that sitting Presidents cannot be indicted. That's Congress's job.

In any case, I think he should testify about the process as well as the findings. If DoJ cannot indict a sitting President, then maybe special prosecutors' reports involving alleged Presidential misconduct should go directly to the one body that has the constitutional authority to put a President on trial if there is a case to answer: Congress.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

If you notice I am not disagreeing with that at all. My concern is "civility" and actually asking questions instead of "grandstanding". A lot of people have downloaded / bought the book but it appears that not many of those have actually read it in it's entirety. I wonder how many have read at least a portion of it?

12. raqball macrumors 68000

A DOJ policy memo is not law.. The policy memo has never been tested and he could have challenged if he wanted... All he needed to do was send charges to the DOJ and let them make the call... In that instance we would have had documented crimes that Mueller believes meets the elements and is provable beyond a reasonable doubt.

The AG would then be the one who makes the call on the policy memo and it would no doubt have been subjected to additional scrutiny...

He copped out OR he didn't have enough.....

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I haven’t seen specific data, but I would be amazed if the number of people who downloaded the report or bought a copy is more than 10% of the population.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Was on the news this morning and if I find it I'll post. (found it)
    The news was saying the book is a best-seller yet not more than 3% of all Americans have read the entire report.

NEW YORK (AP) — “The Mueller Report” is now officially a best-seller.
    https://www.apnews.com/b3685581b8874bc2bc49252130418d7d

From CNN:
    According to brand new CNN polling, the public is even less well-read when it comes to the full report. Just 3% of those polled said they had read "all" of the report while 10% said they had read "some" and 8% maintained they had read "a little" of it. Three-quarters of respondents -- aka the honest ones -- said they had read none of the Mueller report.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/politics/mueller-report-bestseller/index.html

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I still think my 10% estimate is incredibly generous. The book made the best seller list by selling 42,000 copies. And, I bet that a lot of the people who bought the book (like me) had previously downloaded a copy. Essentially, the overwhelming majority of the public is relying on media summaries and reports and I don’t think that the media has done a good job at all of summarizing what’s in the report. Public testimony from Mueller (and from others with key information in the report, like Don McGahn) will significantly expand the scope of information about what’s in the report that the average person sees and hears.

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Let's not forget that Barr admitted he did not read it all, yet he somehow managed to summarize it.

Mueller could have challenged it, but didn't want to be that person. He's sticking with their long-standing policy and waiting on Congress to do the job. Their job. This particular issue is not up to the DOJ, it's up to Congress alone.

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Pure opinion... The fact is that he could have and didn't.. Maybe if he testifies he will be asked why..

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Problem is in that vein, most people will not watch the hearings and will rely on the same media to provide those headlines. :(

End of the day, I am open for him to testify but have a real big concern over civility and staying away from political grandstanding.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2019 ---
    Nice cop-out.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not a cop out. Valid comment

And politics is about grandstanding. That's not going to change. Trump has been grandstanding over the results before the full report was released and continued to do so.

I agree - the problem is that most will not watch the hearings or read the report. The same uneducated people will head to the polls ignorant of who they might be choosing to run the country. Rinse, repeat.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Nice twist and redirect.

Not valid at all. Barr reviewed the summary document provided by Mueller and Team and based his decision on that. Normal. Did you really expect Barr to take weeks to months to review all the documentation? Nadler would have frothed himself into a heart attack.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not convinced Barr read the entire report. I don't expect to him have read all the supporting evidence by now. Some of the more critical evidence I would have hoped he would have reviewed before making such an important decision for this country.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Why would he?
    I am assuming based on his testimony; he has had contact with Mueller, Mueller's Team, and Rosenstein for a several days prior to the report being issued by Mueller. He knew what was in it. Barr had the summaries in the report. He had Rosenstein and Mueller for clarification. Rosenstein agreed with his conclusion. Mueller agreed with the conclusion but not the amount of initially released detail.

I am judging by your reply you felt he needed to do more?
    Personally I am not seeing it.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

If a little incivility and grandstanding are the price for educating voters about Trump’s gross abuses of power, I can live with that trade off.

24. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The difference is people want to indict/impeach Trump over it.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They want to hold him accountable because he broke the law, at one time Republicans loved the rule of law, now they just want to circumvent it, politicize it and cover for a man who's essentially made his party a dumpster fire.

Serious question for his supporters, why?