No TouchID Breach Reports?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueKhufu, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

With Apple's claimed "1 in 50000" probability of a random finger triggering a false positive for TouchID I'm surprised there haven't been over exaggerated reports of failure of the feature. I'm perfectly fine with that number, it's not realistic to ask thousands of people to try their finger (and would of course lock out and require a passcode after just five attempts) to unlock the phone. It wouldn't surprise me to see it make the news when or if it happens and be blown waaaaay out of proportion. My prediction: consumer reports will just happen to be one one where "in our tests a coworker was able to breach" and they'll say they can no longer recommend the phone. ;)
    It wouldn't be often, but if everyone asks one person to test it there should be 20 breaches per million sold..

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949?viewlocale=en_US

edit: I should add I think their estimate is cautious and they don't claim impossibility just to be on the safe side.

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

biometric technology is more advanced than you think. After all the military uses it all the time. And nobody knows for sure, but pretty sure the nuclear football contains some sort of biometric authentication.

Nobody is unlocking your phone without your live finger. Remember reading somewhere even a cut off finger wont work, it has to be live.

3. BlueKhufu thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no doubt it can be 100% secure depending on the method. But Apple are the ones claiming 1 in 50000 using their method, which if accurate means there will be cases of "my wife's fingerprint unlocks my phone! Apple is doooomed!"

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

they probably only put that in because you know somewhere some moron with an identical twin will sue apple for false advertising.

funny because even identical twins dont have the same fingerprints.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think that the chances of a false positive are next to impossible.