No True Scotsman: Donald Trump. Fraud. Lies. Bullying. And a Feud over Whisky

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Sep 23, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Anyone looking for a clear illustration of Donald J. Trump's character as a human being. The reliance one may place upon his promises. Or even his judgement and insight as a businessman. Take a very clear look at his recent history in a nation he claims as part of his ancestral heritage:

Scotland.

Trump's history with Scotland doesn't go back that far. But in 2006 he bought the Menie Estate in Aberdeenshire, with the intention of building a golf course and resort there.

The problem was that the estate was located among a series of dunes that were protected by environmental laws, and had been used by ramblers and ordinary Scots for millennia. Getting permission to bulldoze the dunes and fence out the walkers would require the cooperation of Scottish Government officials.

So Donald J. Trump resorted to his usual strategy: Lying and boasting. He promised to build "the greatest golf resort in the world", he promised "6,000" jobs. And he found a willing audience in (among others) Alex Salmond, who was at that time advocating for Scottish Independence. (Mr. Salmond should have taken a closer look at Trump's views on Scottish independence at the time, but that's a discussion for another day.)

How did things work out?

In a word: A Disaster.

How many jobs have been created by Trump's golf course? About 150. A minuscule fraction of the "6,000" he promised. But that only scratches the surface of Trump's crimes inflicted upon Scotland's people; its culture; and it's economy.

Let's start with the trivial. When Trump unveiled his plans for his golf resort, he included what he termed the "Trump Family Crest" - complete with an eagle grasping golf balls and a series of chevronels. The problem: Scotland has laws regarding Heraldry. You can't just make stuff up. Scotland has a College of Arms (technically the Court of the Lord Lyon). It took four years and the payment of several thousand dollars before the Court granted Trump's request for a family crest.

No big deal, right? Maybe so.

But how did things work out for the local people who'd been walking along Menie's dunes? Not so great. In fact, Trump's minions installed an illegal video surveillance system and sought the prosecution of a Scottish grandmother who needed to urinate (discretely) in the dunes while hiking.

But probably the greatest example of Trump sheer unmitigated stupidity, mendacity, and hatefulness has to be the fight he picked with William J. Grant & Sons, the maker of leading single-malt Scotch Glenfiddich.

Glenfiddich sponsors an annual survey in Scotland to choose the "Top Scot." And in 2012 Scots selected Michael Forbes, a property owner who had resisted Trump's attempts to seize his land, for that honor. Trump responded with the sort of petulant, childish spite that is characteristic of his defective personality. A Twitter storm.

The fights that Trump has picked in Scotland are emblematic of the sort of lying, deceitful, disrespectful, and utterly horrible human being he is.

Take a good look at the promises that Trump made to Scots about jobs. About economic growth. About Scottish heritage and national pride. And then take a look at the way he spat in their faces.

Think Trump is going to bring coal mining jobs back to West Virginia? Think Trump is going to beat China with his great trade deals? Think Trump's wall is going to get built?

Ask a Scotsman for how far you can believe, or trust, Donald J. Trump.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Since @zin is closer, I would love to hear some comment on this. What is the UK point of view on this story? Do they talk about it there?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, because it's the NORTH :p

4. zin macrumors 6502

Overinflated job numbers, a woman urinating on private property, and a storm of Twitter criticism. DISASTER.

It wouldn't be a vrDrew post without a mention of Russia and Wikileaks. I'm disappointed.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Head on over to my new thread for your Russia fix.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You answer was a little vauge. Were the actual jobs provided less than the number promised? And if so, why?

7. zin macrumors 6502

How am I supposed to know? It isn't and wasn't news here in the UK.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Well how can the OP know what you do and don't read? Afterall, you seem to be a Trump and Hillary expert - citing things they've done for decades ;)

9. zin macrumors 6502

Seem to be? I am an expert in citing things that support my agenda and I'm glad you are finally appreciating my efforts on this forum. :D:cool:

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You're expert in all things Donald Trump aren't you?

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't flatter yourself. Hardly the expert you claim to be based on this thread. And I can't say I appreciate anything.

12. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, the seriousness of the Clinton supporters is very real. I thought it was just MadeTheSwitch. I even added two emoticons this time.

I was being sarcastic. I thought the addition of citing things "that support my agenda" made it obvious.

Didn't you call me bitter in the other thread? Jesus Christ.

13. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

My paternal grandfather was born (not literally) on the banks of the Tay in Perthshire. He told wonderful tales of witnessing a distillery fire in ~ 1908 when local people rushed to the scene in hopes of salvaging the precious liquid that was flowing in the streets.

Trump has also conducted a vitriolic, and losing, campaign against the construction of a large off-shore wind farm not far from the Balmedie site of his golf course. Which might, on first observation, seem somewhat strange. Why would the sight of a few wind turbines dimly visible on the horizon spoil or interfere with the experience of playing a round of golf?

The answer: Trump's business model doesn't work around golf. In fact, the golf course itself loses millions of dollars a year. Trump's plan was never to make money from golf. It only would have worked if he could have ended up selling hundreds (if not thousands) of luxury vacation houses to wealthy foreigners. And decimated the community in the process. Because luxury vacation houses in a gated community don't actually bring much money to the area. People don't live in them, don't patronize local stores and restaurants.

14. Limey77 macrumors regular

It's most definitely been news here in the U.K. There have been less than 150 out of the 6000 jobs promised, only one of the three hotels he is legally obligated to build has materialised and the second course hasn't even begun.

On top of that he has destroyed natural habitats, broken planning laws with another giant flag pole and has sued everyone who disagrees with him. Typical Trump behaviour.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Should I have used emoji? Clearly you can't tell what tone I was using - yet you assumed I was all serious ;) :) :/ and all that jazz

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's okay he's got a slush fund to take care of giant flag pole issues using other people's money (OPM). No problem!