No upgrade used.. no new contract signed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtp098, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

So here is a interesting one... I upgraded to the iphone 5S last friday... Got the phone today.. and I called att as this was a swap.. I know you can just change the sim but I didn't want to deactivate the other line... well no upgrade shows up in the att system.. all my lines upgrades are still available.. The guy was just like I don't know what to say you didn't accept a new two year agreement and that can't be done over the phone as it is only done when you purchase the phone.. and now here is the kicker.. apple also said i had not used a upgrade.. i am at a lose..

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's interesting. Usually my upgrade eligibility changes right away.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Check your credit card or AT&T account to see if they charged you full price.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This exact thing happened to me last year when I used my dads upgrade to get the 5. AT&T showed no upgrades had been used after I swapped numbers. Im still eligible for an upgrade and so is my dad. In fact next month the 2 year contract (family plan) ends.

5. jtp098 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just got off the phone with att. what a long upgrade swap.. I asked about the upgrade and the guy said to consider it a gift from att. haha :cool:.

Interesting to see that it happened you you as well. I guess we both got lucky :)

----------

Was just charged the early upgrade price 488 total..

6. pudcraft macrumors regular

soo....you didn't get lucky? I'm confused - you paid the $199 or the $650 for your phone?

I called AT&T as my phone arrives tomorrow. I am under no contract currently, but when I ordered my phone it was as an upgrade. However, that currently doesn't reflect on my account since I haven't activated. Would swapping SIM cards not work?

7. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Something similar happened to me just today but I know why. I originally placed an order for an iphone on 9/20 at midnight. For whatever reason yesterday I got an email saying my order had been canceled because I was not upgrade eligible.:mad::mad::mad: You just don't know how pissed I was. Anyway I immediately log into my account and check upgrade eligibility and it says I am eligible. I call into att and they tell me the system says I am eligible and that I can place another order:mad::mad::mad: I declined and asked for a supervisor. They took my info and said someone would call me back. I then hang up and go to apple.com and place an order there. I log back into my att account and as expected my eligibility is gone because it is used by apple. Today the att supervisor calls me and says I have reversed your upgrade eligibily and asks if I want to place another order, I decline. I log into my att account and it now says I am eligible again and my apple order is still in process.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

He says he paid $488, which would be about right if it was the 64GB model + taxes.

That's quite an awesome gift :p

9. dmystic1 macrumors regular

No. Early upgrade pricing on a 64gb would be $399 + $250 + tax.

$488 would be closer to Full Upgrade Eligible pricing.

10. jtp098 thread starter macrumors 6502a

16 gb.... 449 plus taxes.. 64 would have been sweet

----------

Sounds like a headache

11. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Oh cool.

----------

It is.

12. fav macrumors member

13. jtp098 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess but I'd have to waste my time finding them in stock..

14. mcdeeee macrumors newbie

Weird

Same deal here. I received my 5s yesterday and had some trouble activating it. After 45 min on phone with ATT, problem solved.
    I just go online to my ATT account and I'm still eligible for an upgrade. 5s for $199 (16gb)....
    Should I order and sell the 2nd phone for a profit or will they figure it out?
    Guess, I'll just wait a while and see if I'm still eligible and go for it?

15. pudcraft macrumors regular

I think I got just as lucky. I ordered a 16GB Gray AT&T upgrade from Apple.com. While waiting I bought a full price VZW 64GB at the store. When 16GB arrived I called and did the swap over to the 16GB as my intention was to return the 64GB.

Ended up with CSR stating no new contract or upgrade was used. I swapped SIMS and still no new activation. I then started feeling very guilty as I only paid $199 and got it without a contract. I was also concerned it would show later. (i ordered 09/20).

I called and spilled the beans to a AT&T rep and told him everything. He told me that it's my lucky day and to enjoy the phone. He said that all upgrades are INSTANT and my account has no contract, even after confirming the IMEI being used.

I'm debating selling the 16GB on Ebay as I got it for $199 and have a 64GB I'd rather keep. I guess i'm slightly nervous about this biting me later, but the rep said that the phone is contract free according to my account and that is that.

Thoughts?

16. ewils19 macrumors 6502

My sister and I both upgraded to 5s's on AT&T. Checked the account and my upgrade was used (it went through on 9/20 when I ordered the phone) but my sister's was not!

17. pudcraft macrumors regular

Wow! It seems like a cluster of us just got lucky. I'm tempted to push the "sell item" on Ebay...why do I have to be so damn paranoid. My old man said to me, "they made the mistake and said no contract....their problem".

Damned guilt...

18. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Its probably a good thing with my sister. She's a teenager and has broken several iPods before. She's had a 3GS for the last year and kept it in one piece so maybe she's changed but it still seems to me like a good thing to have that upgrade just in case!

19. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I had a similar situation when I used an upgrade swap for the 5. It added as a new line instead of an upgrade for some reason, because I had every intention to do a regular upgrade swap, and I went on the AT&T live chat to explain the situation to them. They just cancelled the new line and all of my upgrades were still available, I was never charged more than the $199 for the phone and they even waived my upgrade fee :p AT&T CS is pretty awesome.

20. pudcraft macrumors regular

and you were free to do whatever with the phone?

21. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Yup. I could've sold it for retail value (or more) if I wanted I guess, and then used an upgrade to get it again, but I just wanted my white iPhone 5. The reason I had to add it as a new line instead of an upgrade is because I already used the other line to do an upgrade swap for a black iPhone 5, but I wasn't a fan of it so I reserved a white one for in store pickup. I couldn't use the other line to get the white one because I had to return the black one at the store.

It was a really quick process... I feel like I remember the rep saying since it was such a new line they could cancel it for free. Not sure how that makes sense, I could be remembering wrong. Maybe they just didn't feel like going through the effort to take the upgrade from one of my other lines since they were probably swamped with customers during the 5 launch.

22. doo567 macrumors newbie

I have had this happen twice in the past six months. Always happens when I cross upgrade. It will initially take the upgrade, but once I switch the hardware it removes the upgrade and says it is available. This is with the full discount paying only $199 for the 16GB models.

23. pudcraft macrumors regular

Wow...great to hear it. I dont' feel so bad now!

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OP u got the discounted rate.

there's an early upgrade $200 off vs. regular upgrade $450 off. but then again you need to sign 2 year contracts on both. good for you.