Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
There doesn't seem to be an option to preorder a 5C at full price for the 5C. The interface is the exact same as the ordering for the 5S. Am I missing something or does that mean we wont be able to pick up a 5S or a 5C at full price for verizon?

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This occurred in the past, where you could not go and buy the iPhone off contract. I'm surprised for the 5c, this is the case.

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas
I did speak to a Verizon representative today and she told me that there is an option to purchase the iPhone at full price but had to convert my plan from contract to month to month first. She seemed willing to do that for me, even though my existing contract doesn't expire for a few months, and insured me that I could keep my unlimited data plan this way. I am eligible for a subsidized upgrade now, but my contract doesn't end until December. She also said I could do the same if I wanted to buy a 5s next Friday.

So, I guess I am to assume that if we are staying with Verizon, and we want to buy at full retail/unsubsidized, we can only do it through Verizon at the moment, not through Apple.

mvsrt99

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
From the Apple App Store:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 82

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas
The Apple Store App seems to be a great option. I wonder why they don't have this option when going through the Apple.com site. It clearly forces you to purchase the subsidized pan, no option to buy the phone off contract.

mvsrt99

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
So choosing the unlocked option buys the phone outright but they will send the correct model number for verizon?

Well....I went to the final checkout screen and it does look like its the GSM model. That sucks!

I don't want the 5C, but I'm just practicing for the 5S. This is a big concern because I'm not letting go of unlimited data.

Rove

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I just had a chat with an apple representative. The only way to get an off contract iPhone is through Verizon.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
From the Apple App Store:

Hmm. It'd be problematic if it were the GSM version. Who's fault would it be if you ordered it and it was the GSM version?

It could be possible that it is a Verizon GSM unlocked iphone. That is possible, but judging from the options it's probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
So choosing the unlocked option buys the phone outright but they will send the correct model number for verizon?

No. Choosing the unlocked option is the T-Mobile/GSM unlocked version. You can't preorder through Apple and pay full price to keep an unlimited data plan on Verizon; you have to go to an Apple or Verizon store on launch day.

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas
No. Choosing the unlocked option is the T-Mobile/GSM unlocked version. You can't preorder through Apple and pay full price to keep an unlimited data plan on Verizon; you have to go to an Apple or Verizon store on launch day.

How certain are you that you could actually do this at the Apple Store on launch day? I'm concerned that if I were to go to the Apple Store, wait in line, and finally, once I get to speak to one of the sales people, they tell me that I can't get an off contract phone for Verizon. That has been what they have been telling us today anyway. Does their story change on launch day?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
How certain are you that you could actually do this at the Apple Store on launch day? I'm concerned that if I were to go to the Apple Store, wait in line, and finally, once I get to speak to one of the sales people, they tell me that I can't get an off contract phone for Verizon. That has been what they have been telling us today anyway. Does their story change on launch day?

That's how I bought my 5 last year. Walked in and walked out. Wasn't a big deal.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
That's how I bought my 5 last year. Walked in and walked out. Wasn't a big deal.

Depends on the store. I bought 3 iPhones last year, two at Apple Stores and one at Verizon. One of the Apple Stores allowed an off contract purchase while another did not. The Verizon store let me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.