No way to bulk download Files

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Joseph H, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Joseph H macrumors 6502

Having purchased the 512GB iPad, I’d quite like to be able to download all the files in iCloud Drive via the Files app.

This is, nonsensically, not possible. One must manually download each file. Same goes for iBooks, though I circumvented this by syncing via iTunes. Also not possible for Music, but I circumvented that by creating an “All Music” smart playlist and downloading that.

Much like Photos, I’d like a settings option for ‘Optimize Device Storage’ or ‘Download Originals’. My iPad can easily store all my documents, so it would be nice to have that option.

Anyone else find this annoying?

Apple should enable the ability to download everything in Files, Music and iBooks.

2. mattdeezy macrumors member

I'm with you on that. I was hoping for OneDrive selective sync. That's why I bought the 512gb ipp. Will shoot them some feedback too.

3. Joseph H thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will take heed of feedback on this.

4. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Selective sync would be awesome and make iCloud Drive so much more useful. Either that or just let us sync the entire iCloud Drive on to our iPads, as OP suggests.

5. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

however for those 'users' that don't know the storage in iCloud vs their iOS device ... should even the storage optimization on the device NOT be sufficient how should Apple devise or deduce what gets downloaded and what does not?

Alphabetically?
    Numerically?
    a combination of either/or/both?
    type of file precedence?
    First in First Downloaded?
    First in Last Downloaded?
    Folder preference, and then again all the above to consider?
    Size of file, again with all the above considerations?

You can't have a door handle to open the door without considering not just whats on the either side but who else can come/go as they too please ;)

6. DekuBleep macrumors newbie

Google drive doesn’t let you do this either. They make you select one file at a time to designate for offline use. They don’t allow you to designate folders for offline access either. Very annoying. And I don’t know why they take the time to code in this limitation.

7. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

This whole Cloud thing is still shoved down our throats without having feature parity with macOS's finder or Window's Explorer.
    I totally avoid cloud at all costs. Maybe after 3-4 years I might try it again.
    Right now, I am storing all data locally.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This is tech giants twist.

They encourage you to go all cloud, but they are not ready for it so put limitations.

Cloud, at any time, is the hub of data storage. No way we can fully trust the cloud and put stuff onto it and shove off local storage. I use cloud, for easy access across devices, not for local storage replacement. This missing feature shows how tech giants feel about the cloud, and perfectly breaks Apple's claim of “iPad can replace computer”. If ipad iOS is broken, it will not work again without a computer.