No way to display movie collection as artwork instead of alpha lists?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GhostMac24, May 14, 2013.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

So much easier to scroll through movies on iTunes or the iPad in the menu option that lets you scroll through artwork but when using the AppleTV menus you are presented with an alpha list only. This is ok if you only have a few movies but for those that have a healthy collection, this is a PITA. Would be much easier to view like pages of artwork. Is there some menu setting I am missing or is this the only way to view your movie collection?

Here is what I am talking about (see attached pics of what I'd like to do and what it currently does). These are just screen shots I grabbed from google.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Attached Files:

• art.jpg
      art.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
    • list.png
      list.png
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
  2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

i dont believe there is a way around this, but if there were id love a feature that did that too.

ive been waiting forever for the UI to sort TV as a series rather than season, but apple have been slow on improving the UI

3. mic j macrumors 68030

I like the list, and I have about 350 movies in it. I sit about 13ft away from my 65" Mits and I find the list easier to read than trying to view coverart from that distance and figure out which movie I am looking at. Of course, it all depends on the size of the artwork. But I am assuming you want a fair number/screen. Keep in mind that the iTunes cover art (whether on computer or iPad) is basically right in front of you, making it very easy to see details. That experience may/may not transfer to the big screen depending on screen size and viewing distance.

For very large libraries, playlists can help.

4. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I should qualify that I have small children (3 and 5) and they do much better with film art than lists when trying to decide what to watch. It's very simple if I use my iPad remote app with them but when they don't have that available to them (like when they are with the nanny) then they have to rely on the list which isn't nearly as easy. Besides, the film art is just aesthetically more pleasing than the lexical lists.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

Yes, that makes sense for small children...and adults too! It's a personal choice. I also find artwork more aesthetically pleasing to look at too. In my situation though, less functional.

6. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I just find it odd that you can scroll through the movies on AppleTV to buy but you can't do that for the ones you have already bought or uploaded.

7. MFL2012 macrumors member

For movies or tv shows purchased through iTunes, you can see the list as artwork. Click the TV Shows or Movies button and go to "Purchased". For ones you put in iTunes yourself, you're SOL.

8. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'd have to argue the opposite.

At about 1800 movies on the system, the alpha is quicker then having to go through the artwork. The smaller number of movies, the artwork scrolling would be easier.

And I must admit, I rarely using any of the predefined ways of finding a movie...

At 1800, by movie takes forever
    Genre, other then the obvious movies, knowing which it's in is a pain
    You get my drift.
    I use playlists extensively. Predominantly smart playlists.
    Ie: added in last 30days (once played it drops off this list)
    Watched in last 7 days (cause if the wife watches it and I miss it, makes it easier to find)
    By Star....I have about 30 of those. By rating. An unrated movie playlist (gets me straight to the ones I need to see to rate)
    Most played. (Means our fav movies are always easily accessible)

Also I add things to group field or comments to facilitate even more playlists. Ie again, chick flicks ( wife and I argue heaps about this being an actual genre!!) australian films.

Btw...since when is Independent a genre? I noticed more films are being classed as such. What utter BS!

Again, you get the drift.

9. chambord macrumors member

It's honestly ridiculous they haven't fixed this. Even the new iTunes has a sophisticated way to sort tv shows, but the AppleTV can't? Sigh.

10. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Yup, that's a rear feature but when you are in the "computer" option we are SOL.

1800??? Jeezus, I'd need a Dewey decimal system catalog just to figure out the whole system. :D

My point exactly. In iTunes we have options for list, art, etc, but only one forced option in ATV. Sign is right. Bad:apple:!