Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostich

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I need to access a password-protected website, but with a different user name than is currently stored in Safari.

First I tried to find the website in the list of saved passwords in Safari's preferences. It's not there. So I clicked on "erase all passwords". No use, the site in question still won't let me enter a new user name and password. The window where you enter the password isn't even showing.

Next, I deleted the cache and all other data from websites. No use. Then I chose "reset Safari" in the Safari menu. I also restarted Safari numerous times. No use. Suddenly, all the other passwords which I had deleted before, also reappeared in the list of saved passwords!

Can somebody help me?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Look in Keychain application from /Applications/Utilities. You should find the list of saved passwords there. That list in Safari is actually pulled from the Keychain.

bostich

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
YES! You're my hero. That did it.

So why does Safari give me the option of erasing passwords when they are not actually erased but still kept in the Keychain and loaded back into Safari the next time I start it???

And why are there certain passwords (like the one I wanted to erase) that are not even visible in Safari's preferences?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
YES! You're my hero. That did it.

So why does Safari give me the option of erasing passwords when they are not actually erased but still kept in the Keychain and loaded back into Safari the next time I start it???

And why are there certain passwords (like the one I wanted to erase) that are not even visible in Safari's preferences?

I think this is a bit broken at the moment. I have noticed the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.