No way to restrict family sharing purchases for over 13s?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mrklaw, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Got my kids to update their iPad minis to ios8 mainly for family sharing - fed up with them shoving their ipads under my nose to put my password in when they want a new app (like many I use my store ID on all devices, and they have their own IDs for game centre etc)

But as both kids are over 13 (barely) I don't see any option to enable 'ask to buy'. Are Apple really telling me that anyone in my family group over 13 can just buy things using my credit card with no way to control it? Or am I doing something wrong?

If this is something fixed, U.S. there any way to opt into family sharing for the shared photo stream and calendar, but not purchases?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My daughter is 16 with her own Apple ID - I added her to the family group and I have an "Ask to Buy" option in her profile

3. mrklaw, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm. Just clicking on my sons entry under family sharing it says that he is sharing purchases with the group. Maybe he accepted incorrectly? When he got my email for some reason it asked for my password. Will try removing him and readding

Edit: nope.

He was signed into the store with my Apple ID so I removed that and used his Apple ID, and then added him, but it still isn't giving me any controls

4. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

Doh. I'd put my sons birthdate the same as mine because when I set it up he was under 13. Changed it back and it is working ok now :eek: