"No, WE broke up with Apple. But not because of money."

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pdpfilms, Sep 1, 2007.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/nbc-hits-back-at-apple-claims-it-didnt-want-more-money/

The crawling back has begun, even before they really left.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

So who are we supposed to believe is telling the truth?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Doesn't matter much. In January, there will be either no NBC titles, or NBC titles for $1.99, or NBC titles for $4.99. Which one of these, that is what matters.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

True.

Although all I want is for Heroes to be available on the UK iTunes Store next summer, since I'm going to miss a massive chunk of it - otherwise known as nearly all of it! But not at whatever $4.99 would work out at for us Brits.

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I think their both telling the truth, but both apple and nbc are only telling the parts that make them look like the good guys.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You know, as Apple offers more and more products via iTunes, they really are going to need to start offering *some* price flexibility. $1.99 TV shows are nice, but some are probably not even worth 99 cents, while others are clearly worth more. That said, I don't think NBC will have much luck selling shows for $4.99.

And the statement about pirated materials on iPods is ridiculous. The portion of piracy coming from legitimate iTunes sales is miniscule, and even if no TV shows were sold on iTunes, there would still be just as much pirated material around -- heck, anyone with a VCR can record any broadcast TV show.

7. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Sounds like the old Marketing vs Accounting argument to me, with Apple playing Marketing and NBC playing Accounting.

Accounting says: "We're not making enough money on product A - we'd better put the sale price up."

Marketing says: "But if we keep the sale price low, we'll sell more and make up the profit margins on sale volume."

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

NBC Universal will play hardball (pun intended if you've watched MSNBC) until they see the new 6G iPod video (aka. "iPod Touch") with its beautiful fullscreen display and touchscreen controls. NBC will be begging to come back in no time flat after that. ;)

9. freeedge369 macrumors member

The pricing IS designed to sell Apple devices. Why do you think iTunes music (With the exception of the limited and price increased iTunes Plus) i limited to the iPod? While the iPod is the best MP3 player on the market, the Nano and Shuffle are both pitiful attempts at products. There are 2-8 GB players that destroy the Nano in both features and price. The shuffle is the same situation. The reason people will stick with iPod even if the products are infrerior to new alternatives is that all of their music is tied to iPod through Apple's DRM.

Which I why I buy CDs. I can use them with any player I get. Hooray for a lack of fanboyism.

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Question: have you ever tried to use the software that came with the Sandisk or Creative players? There's nothing like the way iTunes work with its "one stop" operation to buy music and videos, rip your CD collection, and copy all of it neatly to your iPod. I've played with the Sansa E200 series software (my niece has a Sansa E270 player) and frankly, it's nowhere as easy to use as iTunes. And thanks to its protective patent, no other player comes close to the iPod's Click Wheel interface system in terms of simplicity and ease of use.