iPod "No, WE broke up with Apple. But not because of money."

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/nbc-hits-back-at-apple-claims-it-didnt-want-more-money/

NBC, not content to let Apple have the last word, issued a counter-statement late yesterday clarifying that its departure from iTunes wasn't so much pricing related as, apparently, focused on an unwavering "request for flexibility in wholesale pricing, including the ability to package shows together in ways that could make our content even more attractive for consumers." That and tighter anti-piracy measures on Apple's part, "since it is estimated that the typical iPod contains a significant amount of illegally downloaded material." Right. This has exactly WHAT to do with legitimately selling shows to paying customers, NBC? We think this is the telling quote: "It is clear that Apple's retail pricing strategy for its iTunes service is designed to drive sales of Apple devices, at the expense of those who create the content that make these devices worth buying." Yeah, pretty clear it's still about the money for those guys.

If there's any good news, it's that NBC insists that its content, despite Apple's claims to the contrary, will still be available on iTunes through the end of its contract, which is up in December. In the mean time, you can rest assured that if NBC didn't actually want you to pay more for their shows, at very least they think you're a dirty crook who shouldn't have the privilege anyway.
The crawling back has begun, even before they really left.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
So who are we supposed to believe is telling the truth?
Doesn't matter much. In January, there will be either no NBC titles, or NBC titles for $1.99, or NBC titles for $4.99. Which one of these, that is what matters.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
Doesn't matter much. In January, there will be either no NBC titles, or NBC titles for $1.99, or NBC titles for $4.99. Which one of these, that is what matters.

True.

Although all I want is for Heroes to be available on the UK iTunes Store next summer, since I'm going to miss a massive chunk of it - otherwise known as nearly all of it! But not at whatever $4.99 would work out at for us Brits.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You know, as Apple offers more and more products via iTunes, they really are going to need to start offering *some* price flexibility. $1.99 TV shows are nice, but some are probably not even worth 99 cents, while others are clearly worth more. That said, I don't think NBC will have much luck selling shows for $4.99.

And the statement about pirated materials on iPods is ridiculous. The portion of piracy coming from legitimate iTunes sales is miniscule, and even if no TV shows were sold on iTunes, there would still be just as much pirated material around -- heck, anyone with a VCR can record any broadcast TV show.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Sounds like the old Marketing vs Accounting argument to me, with Apple playing Marketing and NBC playing Accounting.

Accounting says: "We're not making enough money on product A - we'd better put the sale price up."

Marketing says: "But if we keep the sale price low, we'll sell more and make up the profit margins on sale volume."

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
NBC Universal will play hardball (pun intended if you've watched MSNBC) until they see the new 6G iPod video (aka. "iPod Touch") with its beautiful fullscreen display and touchscreen controls. NBC will be begging to come back in no time flat after that. ;)

freeedge369

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
The pricing IS designed to sell Apple devices. Why do you think iTunes music (With the exception of the limited and price increased iTunes Plus) i limited to the iPod? While the iPod is the best MP3 player on the market, the Nano and Shuffle are both pitiful attempts at products. There are 2-8 GB players that destroy the Nano in both features and price. The shuffle is the same situation. The reason people will stick with iPod even if the products are infrerior to new alternatives is that all of their music is tied to iPod through Apple's DRM.

Which I why I buy CDs. I can use them with any player I get. Hooray for a lack of fanboyism.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
While the iPod is the best MP3 player on the market, the Nano and Shuffle are both pitiful attempts at products. There are 2-8 GB players that destroy the Nano in both features and price. The shuffle is the same situation.
Question: have you ever tried to use the software that came with the Sandisk or Creative players? There's nothing like the way iTunes work with its "one stop" operation to buy music and videos, rip your CD collection, and copy all of it neatly to your iPod. I've played with the Sansa E200 series software (my niece has a Sansa E270 player) and frankly, it's nowhere as easy to use as iTunes. And thanks to its protective patent, no other player comes close to the iPod's Click Wheel interface system in terms of simplicity and ease of use.