No WiFi AC??????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple Fan 21, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

Why no wifi AC in the new iPhone 5s??? I can understand on the 5c, but the
    5s in their "flagship" model. The 5s direct competition (HTC One, GS4, Moto X) have wifi AC. Really think Apple dropped the ball on this. Why did they even bother to recently update their routers to AC? Might be a deal breaker for me.:confused:

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Shocked me too. Probably related to battery life.

3. amdmaxx macrumors member

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

I was surprised that there was no LTE advance support.

5. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

If Apple wanted a true Android killer the would have added wifi AC and LTE-A to the iPhone 5S.:mad:

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

7. unobtainium macrumors 68000

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not as fast as AC over local networks and it's no longer the newest standard. Since the 5s is Apple's newest flagship phone, you'd think they'd upgrade its wi-fi capabilities (as they did for the MacBook Air and AirPort lineups earlier this year).

8. galahan macrumors member

Probably because:
    1. Most people and business don't have AC routers yet. I realize an AC card is backward compatible but it's not widespread enough to make a big impact yet.

2. The iPhone 5 dual channel 5Ghz 802.11n wifi didn't come anywhere near hitting the theoretical max of 300mbps. So even if you can get a better signal through AC, it probably wouldn't have made a big difference in terms of speed.

3. You're rarely transferring anything of significant size to or from your phone. It already does fine streaming to Apple TV. So again, the speed benefits of AC probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. Signal could be a greater benefit but again, only for a few people.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Is there any ac mobile hardware even available? It just hit computers a couple of months ago, so a lack of mobile parts, especially in volume, wouldn't shock me.

As far as it being needed, no. The speed of N isn't exactly holding most of the public back, and the range improvement would have very limited uses. Like I'm thinking I could still be on wifi when mowing my entire lawn. Maybe. That's crucial on an iPod, but less so on an iPhone. That's what the cellular connection is there for.

10. lilo777 macrumors 603

How exactly would that kill Android? Samsung Galaxy S4 already has both features (LTE-A S4 models were announced just recently). On the other hand, applying your logic it may just mean that the lack of these features will allow Android to kill iPhone :p

11. javisan macrumors regular

This thread has just demonstrated that fanboys will really really defend the indefensible.

There is NO excuse NOT to include it. AC routers have been in the market for over a year, Apple itself released one!!! They even have a laptop with it.

Finally, the competition has had it on their phones since March/April 2013!!

And fanboys get mad when worried Apple fans say Apple is behind and not catching up.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

They probably did not ad it because of battery concerns. No biggie though -- I'm not continually streaming GBs and GBs to my iPhone.

Bryan

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

At least it saves me from having to buy the new AirPort Extreme

The 2012 AirPort is still working fine

14. Kurso macrumors 6502

But I bought one, I'm doomed!

15. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Right, but Apple released an 802.11ac router. You would have to think that they would release every new product that could take full advantage of it...

16. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Besides the fact that 802.11ac is the newest standard, can someone please provide some supporting evidence as to how/why it would benefit the iPhone?

I can not see needing a 1.3 Gbps connection to my phone anytime before the 5S will be long obsolete. Does ac use less power? I'm sure n chipsets are far more power efficient at this point than ac. if that is the case, most people would rather have better battery life over faster wi-fi. Just because something is the latest and greatest doesn't mean the phone has to have it when it doesn't provide any real enhancement.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

99.9% of iPhone owners would see a benefit going to AC and it's likely power hungry and can't utilize beam forming in a tiny device.

18. Serban Suspended

yes and if iphone 5s dont have wifi ac, so i guess ipad 5 will not have?

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

My HTC One had horrible range/speed over 5Ghz 802.11ac. Switched back to 802.11g 2.4Ghz. Don't see the point of ac devices with tiny antennae.

20. osplo macrumors member

Well I was surprised too.

But I suppose that it has to do with some technical issue. If it is the battery drain, I'm happy they decided not to put it in.

There should be some reason.

21. javisan macrumors regular

The technical reason must have been to improve the profit margin. The new macbook air has it and it has no effect on the battery life.

22. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It will be included on the iPhone 6. Right now hardly anyone has AC routers so who cares?

23. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Since not enough people have AC capable routers, might as well keep costs down by now incorporating an AC WiFi chip. I doubt Apple sell enough Air Ports to warrant incorporating AC into their iPhones either.

Then of course you have the battery strain and more than likely poor range AC has compared to WiFi N.

What do people do on their iPhone that would demand the need for AC? Genuine question.

24. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Facebook would load adverts on your newsfeed 0.00000000001458% quicker.

25. Preed08 macrumors regular

What some dimwits in here don't understand is that WiFi AC is just a bullet point feature for phones. The internal NAND will not even saturate wireless N. Why the hell include AC? it won't cause anything to move faster...