No wonder the NY Times is 400 million plus in debt

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luminosity, Nov 22, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I tried to order (and did, in fact, order) two copies of the NY Times on November 5th. The reason is obvious, given the date. I just got a notice in the mail this afternoon saying that they couldn't complete my order, due to incomplete information. They said I need to contact them by November 24th to obtain my papers. Of course, I can't contact them today or tomorrow because they are closed. Also, my last name was misspelled.

No wonder the paper is so far in debt. I love the news coverage, but from a technical standpoint, they are severely lacking at all levels.

2. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Wow. I ordered mine yesterday. I hope they don't do the same.

3. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I don't know if its fair to say a single isolated case represents the whole company

4. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Oh, it doesn't. I'm as much frustrated as anything else. But, acquiring the Boston Globe and being late to the internet party didn't help either.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't think they're in debt because they can't meet an order for a couple of back issue copies of the paper, particularly one that's probably in demand.

The entire newspaper, magazine and publishing industry is in trouble right now, not due to technical issues... it's the lack of classified and display advertising, coupled with a drop in the demand for print, while entire levels of management teams struggle with the transition of raising income through online models.

I'm sorry you're having problems getting your newspapers, though. It must be frustrating. Pick up the phone on Monday morning, dial 1-800-543-5380 and try to keep calm. :D

6. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

No doubt you're right about that.

But, it's worth noting to me that I ordered my paper on November 5th, not afterward. Basically, I ordered two copies of the first run, not reprints. A minor detail, I suppose, but a substantial one in my mind. I knew it would be popular, and historical, and I made sure to get one right away.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They won't do a reprint. It's far too costly to set up the plates and allocate the masses of paper for these types of presses, they're the size of houses, and the print runs would be too small to be worth taking the time for when tomorrow's edition is to be prepped.

They'll usually do a large run and set aside a certain amount for back issues, probably a lot more for historic occasions. Give 'em a call. :)

8. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

So, even if they sell out a given day's issues (as they did on November 5th), some are kept in reserve no matter what?

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Definitely. They'll always keep some archived and for back issue requests. Just precisely how many is another question. I don't work for the NYT, but have worked in publishing and have with newspapers. There's nothing you can do except wait and call them on Monday morning.

Of course, people have got them up on eBay already. ;)

10. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Good heavens. I'm glad I reserved two copies when I did, assuming they actually get to me.

11. bananabar macrumors regular

I have to ask - what's so special about 5th November? Guy Fawkes??

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i was wondering the same thing, so i googled it, it was obama dude winning the us election...

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The last 2 posts are really, really amusing. [​IMG]

I would suggest that the edition be made available on a DVD.