No working ad block in safari

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Nathan576, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Nathan576 macrumors regular

So unfortunately I have not been able to find a working ad block in safari, it keeps trying to take me to the App Store are use the crappy new ones that don't do a thing. When I try to install the original adblock it says "safari does not support unsafe extensions anymore" (I'm paraphrasing). Does anyone have a fix for this? I was really enjoying dark mode and suddenly I have ads all over.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe Mojave blocks all but the new "content blocker" type adblock extensions, so you will need to go with one of those.

3. mdickson macrumors regular

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

No. It doesn't. You just have to turn it on in Safari preferences.

5. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Can you expand upon this, please? Are you still able to install extensions not from the MAS or gallery?

6. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

7. Nathan576 thread starter macrumors regular

8. MacBookSteve macrumors member

MacBookSteve

Wipr...

it's the only Adblock that anyone needs whether they're using / like it or not. It's the best.

Minimally invasive and "just works" in true Apple Fashion. No talent or knowledge needed.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not exactly what you guys were looking for but I use whole house ad block with pfSense and pfblockerng. When away from the house I use an OpenVPN connection to route back through getting ad block on all my device as well as additional security. Saves the need to run a local ad block on all of your devices individually.