Noah

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Mar 30, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's virtually no chance of me seeing the movie. But I'm curious what the mood is of the members here.

Seen it? It is getting good reviews.

Not seeing it? Why? What's keeping you away?

Apparently the movie was given a political spin [which I like].

On a Noah side note, I'm still bothered by this aspect of the fable the most of all ...

Once the boat finally landed, how did the animals survive?

They would have to travel all the way back to the lands they now inhabit without having anything to eat. Plants would take time to regrow for the herbivores to eat them. Carnivores couldn't eat the only two animals from the ark ... they'd have to wait at least a generation or two for any "expendable" animals to be born to consume. Animals might have to wait years before they could eat. :eek:

And if God is just going to snap his fingers to sustain them, why have them in an ark in the first place? Why store any food on the ark? Why not just the flood the Earth and let the animals breathe under water?

These questions and more.

So if there's any believers in the story, please explain how that all worked out.

Anyway ... fluffy subject.

Have fun.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was one of those rare movies that's even better than the book. :eek:

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I watched the movie yesterday. I did enjoy it. To have all the animals without issues inside the ark during the flood they burned something they prepared and the smoke put all the animals to sleep. I don't recall any reference to Noah and his family not eating animals.
    There are other historical references to floods in the ancient world, not only the one from the bible.
    What was the reason for the flood?
    Man became wicked or Man flesh was corrupted? Or both? What do they mean?

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I have nothing against myths. As in "fact", "fiction", or "myth. As in 1:

But, from the descriptions I have read of this movie, it can't make up its mind whether it is fiction or myth, and, if "facts" from biology, chemistry, or physics play any role in it. In short, either the events are physically possible, as they usually are in, say, a Hitchcock movie, or, they are not, as in the movies "ET" or "Beowulf". I don't normally like it when there is confusion between myth and fact.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Please don't take my answer as any indication of belief in any aspect of that poorly-written Jackie Collins novel, but in the biblical story of Noah he sends out a bird that returns with an olive leaf. When he sends it out again, it doesn't return.

From that we can infer there'd been enough plant growth to sustain the animal population. Of course that, like every other aspect of the Noah story, is unbelievable nonsense.

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd forgotten about that.

So it rains for 40 days and 40 nights ... the flood waters recede ... and the plants just dry themselves off and continue on like nothing happened?

Got it.

:D

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How do you know it was not true?

How did Noah knew about the flood? God informed him and commanded him to build the Ark. After the flood God helped him and his descendants.

Methuselah gave Noah a seed before he started to build the Ark. He planted the seed and a forest was created, where he took all the wood to build the Ark. God helped them afterwards.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I know God works in mysterious ways ... but if God is going to the trouble of instantly popping up forests, transporting animals across the globe and then sustaining them without food for months and years, why not just get rid of the sinners directly and skip the whole flood/arc thing?

God makes no sense at all.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

He did get rid of the sinners, that's one of the reasons why the flood occurred. Noah was the one who did all those things. They had food with them on the Ark. The animals were kind of overwintering. Now imagine Noah and his family having to manage all the dead bodies...

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Fertilizer. No wonder the plants came back so fast.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If I have learned one thing in life, it's that discussion on any subject with someone who thinks the story of the flood could possibly be true is utterly pointless.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Saw it today actually. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Aronofsky does good work. I've enjoyed most of his films.

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Saw it last night, and I sorta liked it. I think it's worth the price of admission at least.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I would be more interested in seeing it if all the raindrops were CGI. Spraying tens of thousands of gallons of real water on real people? So 20th century.

16. boast, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

boast macrumors 65816

boast

I thought it was a bit long, but entertaining.

That filters out a good chunk of movies...

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Fiction, 3 stars.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Agreed. Interesting take. The look and topography were unlike anything previously seen a biblical film.

I appreciated not seeing a rehash of the same sets in morocco, desert, camels and Bedouins normally associated with these types of films.

I and liked "The Watchers" quite a bit.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

have not seen it yet, it should be interesting.

I always like the story although never, even as a kid, i believed it to be a literal account of events, nor did any of the priests/family that narrated it to me. it was always a symbolic/allegorical story.

I was really baffled when i first found out that there are people who apparently believe it literally, and in fact i am still a bit doubtful of that. I personal have not ever encountered anyone who actually believed that in a strict sense.

is there anyone who does here?
    I mean the actual thing: 40 days of rain, wiping out the entire human and animal population around the entire world (south america, africa, tibet, australia, etc.), the arc with single pairs of animals, etc. the whole shebang.

apart of the obvious technical impossibility of it, which i suppose can be just waived away with god's magic (not a big deal for an omnipotent being), how does a literal believer of the story justify the reasoning behind it?
    I mean, wiping out the entire world population who for the vast majority never even heard of the guy? and the animals too (many plant i guess could survive)? we are talking multiple genocides on a cosmic scale, where the almost entire totality of victims were necessarily completely innocent.
    why not just smite the bad guys?
    why would anyone chose to worship such a horrific divinity? just out of fear?wouldn't something like that more in character with a devil-like entity?

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

College has eaten away all the time I might have had to go see a movie in the theater.

Yeah, he could have just produced a pandemic to wipe out humanity. It's not like God isn't know for unleashing plagues...

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Because people don't live to 1000 years old, it is impossible to build a boat big enough to house every animal on earth, it is impossible to collect and house every animal on earth, and there was never such thing as the firmament. The story of noah is a sweet parable about genocide for children.

Happy to clear that up for you.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I grew up in a more liberal world. I can say that I never even met anyone who didn't consider the Noah's Ark story a myth (usage #1 above, not usage #2)-- a metaphorical story that was never taken as anything but metaphorical-- until I was a senior in high school. Since then, though, this strange idea has been spreading like a dangerous tropical fever, and, I have met plenty of people since. Occasionally, some of those people have had quite high IQ's, but, what they really are lacking is a particular critical faculty that filters self-deception. The people that I have met who insist that these myths are, or, have to be, literally true, are people who are able to maintain mutually contradictory beliefs at the same time, and when (A) and (not A) are forced out into the open, answer with, "it is a great mystery", rather than entertain the idea that one of their beliefs must be false.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hate it when people in some fantasy movie with magic abruptly invoke, or, are somehow limited by, e.g. the Laws of Thermodynamics or Conservation of Energy, etc. Stories should have self-consistency, and not violate the unity of action that a good story should (usually) have. (And yet, Shakespeare remains my favorite playwright ;) ).

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you don't like Light Sabers and the The Force you are wrong. Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Actually the campiest thing in the Star Wars saga was R2D2 constantly plugging in to the conveniently-placed universal network port whenever it was needed and getting whatever information was needed without any authentication, authorization, or data access-controls getting in the way. And then twirling the interface back and forth mechanically. :)

But, sorry, I couldn't take the prequels, despite the ever more fantastic special effects. Hope you don't mind.