Noam Chomsky...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vpro, Nov 1, 2012.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed watching it.

I pretty much agree 110% which is unsurprising as Noam Chomsky is something of a political idol of mine.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I lean to the left on political issues, but frankly I find Chomsky annoying. He seems to me to have gained his fame by being a contrarian, all too willing to criticize but not really putting forward any viable policy alternatives. Most of his academic work on language didn't really pan out as having any psychological reality. Yet this guy is worshiped in liberal academia....

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I disagree, his prefered political ideology is fairly defined, there's just little market for delivering lectures trying to win others over to anarcho-syndicalism, you're either preaching to the choir or are expecting people to voluntarily subject themselves to what they will see as bias.

It's better to tackle the world for what it is than evagangalise a pipe dream, people need to see the crap before they're motivated to do any better.

5. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

So true..

Indeed, he is a great observer and the truth is always really ugly. There are really sickening things happening in the world, we can all do our part every chance we get, doesn't matter how small or large your impact is, it will always be an impact.