"Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Feb 27, 2017.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you like your DR, you can keep it.............

republicans did put their foot in their mouth by promising to repeal it.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He's such an idiot. It makes me wonder where he has been the last eight years....besides going all birther on Obama of course.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Merged as requested. Thanks for the report. :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Still beggars belief that people believed and supported him.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

"Nobody knew"??

This guy...it's like he pays absolutely no attention to what's going on around him.

Is it really possible that he was unaware of what a mess it was when Obama and House Republicans wrestled only to come out with the broken, doomed ACA?

He should have just told us all the truth. Obamacare was Pandora's box. It's open now and there is no going back. And there isn't anything he or anyone else can do about it.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

As always, the real story is buried in the middle.

upload_2017-2-27_15-45-35.png

Once again, Trump and his team reveal no actual policy details and instead offer some hand-waving to kick the can down the road a bit more. How many times have they announced an event where healthcare would be one of the things discussed only to offer some vague campaign-style lines and then punt on the details to a promised later date, rinse, repeat?

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Exactly. There isn't a single person in DC who is interested in yanking healthcare away from 20 million people.

They ran their mouths as if they believed they would never be in a position to actually act. No they are and....crickets.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm actually of the opposite mindframe. I actually dare them now to take it away.

If you've seen any reports of their town hall meetings (which now Trump is trying to say that there were 'liberal plants' there causing the furor), you'll notice that they are taking some serious heat from the constituents who voted to put them in office. Some are even avoiding the town hall meetings they scheduled because they don't want to deal with the backlash.

So yes, I dare them to try to repeal it. Because every day it is becoming clearer and clearer that they don't have a plan to replace it; so if they do repeal, and their constituents end up with nothing for a replacement, they will be voted out of office in a huge landslide in the next 18 months.

The clock is ticking.

BL.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Which is why the ACA approval rating (so to speak) has risen.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A whole bunch of us, Democrats and Republicans knew. But the GOP used it as partisan tool to rile the stupid or people who don't need insurance. :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Speaking as non-partisanly as possible, I do hope congress does fix the issues with the ACA. I don't care which party the fix comes from, I don't care what focus-group tested pithy marketing phrase they give to it, and I don't care who wins of loses political points for it. We need stability in healthcare for it to work.

If they truly want to start from scratch, I think they should buy some time by implementing the small tweaks proposed by the dems last year. That would right the system for now. That will buy congress 2-3 years of research and debate to really figure out a better replacement.

If the end goal is to tweak it and rebrand it, I have not really heard any plausible alternatives to what the dems proposed last year. I'm open to other ideas, there just haven't been any.

If the end goal is to go back to the way things were before the ACA, I think that is profoundly unwise and pretty much everyone in congress knows it.

Currently there is total uncertainty surrounding it created by the promise of repeal and replace without any details whatsoever. Thus, inaction will lead to its failure. Under Obama, when it was foreseen that Clinton would win, the insurance companies at least knew with some degree of certainty what was coming next year and the year after. Today, they have no idea and that's a very bad thing for everyone.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Agree.. completely.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if by "fix" you mean get rid of the mandate I am all for it :D

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they have 8 years to solve it they never even got close. small tweaks are whats needed I think.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Have you actually thought through the repercussions of that?

To summarize pretty much every economist on both sides of the isle, the trouble right now is the mandate penalty is too low, and the subsidy threshold and amounts are too low.

Dems want to raise the mandate penalty to get more people to sign up, increase the subsidy threshold to allow more folks to be eligible for the subsidy, and raise the subsidy amount to make it more affordable to the lower-income folks. Dems propose paying for this out of the fact that so far the ACA has come in under-budget, meaning there is a technically a surplus against budgetary predictions.

Reps have not really offered any concrete details on how to fix it, but some party members do note the above 3 issues. Just my guess, but the conservative answer to the above 3 issues I would guess would be to only to undo the entire thing. Basically go back to how it was pre-ACA. No mandate, no subsidies, no consumer protections. This is, as I said, profoundly stupid and profoundly unpopular, so it won't happen.

So please think it through, how would getting rid of the mandate make anything better at all? At the moment, it's the a domino that would topple the entire healthcare market if pushed the wrong way.

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Sorry Dagless. Not past tense. The idiot still has believers and supporters.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it was made mandatory and HC still went up, no matter what happens HC goes up. politicians on BOTH sides are in the pockets on big pharma and the HC industry.

20. kobalap macrumors 6502

The video's origin is MSNBC. In other words, lying liberal media. In other words, fake news.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

"HC went up" compared to what?

It went up compared to what it was before? Yes.
    It went up compared to pre-ACA projections? No, it did not.
    It went up for everyone? No, it did not. For many it went down compared to other costs.
    Quality of coverage went up compared to pre-ACA? Depends, insurance coverage is nuanced and complicated.
    Number of people with coverage went up compared to pre-ACA? Yes.
    Number of people without coverage using the emergency room that we all pay for went up? No, it went down.

22. kobalap macrumors 6502

I am okay getting rid of the individual mandate for as long as they get rid of EMTALA too. I don't want to be saddled by someone else's health care bills just because they did not want to buy insurance.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What's fake news, is the notion that all liberal media is lying or that something is a lie because you don't agree with it. Everyone on both sides of the aisle need to get over that mindset.