Noise Cancellation is weird

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy360, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else notice the noise cancellation on the iPhone 5 is really strange. Put your ear up to the phone and it has electronic noise canceling. To me it makes my ear feel weird like I am being bombarded with sound that is in a frequency I cant hear, sort of like a pressure change in my ear that is against the phone.

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Won't be able to try the noise cancellation before iPhone 5 launches in Denmark next Friday (already preordered..).

But it usually works by sending the surrounding voice/noise in inverted phase.

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might be what is happening. I can't quite explain the feeling I get from using the phone but it is entirely different from using the iphone 4 or 4s. I almost feel like there is a pressure change in the ear that is against the phone similar to the feeling of when you need to pop your ears while you are on an airplane going to high altitude.

I wish there was a way to turn it off because I am not so sure I like it.

4. burp43 macrumors newbie

I noticed while in the car. The effect made me very nauseas. I hope there is a way to turn it off.

5. nolenj macrumors newbie

I'm glad I'm not the only one! While driving to get some lunch I made two calls and both times I had a weird pressure change sensation. I thought I was going crazy! I realized it had to be something with the phone when it happened the second time.

6. Techitch macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem almost makes me dizzy. I don't like it at all! Apple needs to fix ASAP

7. Techitch macrumors newbie

Called Apple several complaints have been opened received case number. I am suppose to flash phone, if problem still exists Apple will send up to second level for research.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I am not experiencing this. Just had a 15 minute phone call. Sounded excellent!

9. aprilmartwick01 macrumors newbie

yeah i had the same thing happen it does feel like i lost my hearing in one ear i dont like it either i dont want to ret the phone but whats the good if i cant handle talking cause of it..... what shoud i do

10. xploit macrumors regular

Wow

And here I thought I had a head cold and or water in my ear. Seriously it doesn't feel good. Anyone know if this has more to do with a persons hearing than the iPhone 5? Also there seems to be some effect even after the call ends.

X

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

There is another really long thread about this topic. Some users have also gotten bad headaches. Basically, people who are adversely affected by this don't seem to be able to overcome it. Some have returned their iPhones. Others have exchanged their iPhones and have gotten relief. Perhaps a software fix in the future may help, but at this point it's all just speculation.

It seems to be hit or miss if it bothers users. For most there's no problem but for those who suffer, it's a very bad situation. :(

12. Lartymarf macrumors regular

13. as0016 macrumors regular

It has to do with the reaction of your inner ear to the noise canceling frequencies. It's not "hearing" per se. I am one of those people that had really bad reaction that lasted after the call was over if it was more than a minute or two call. I get this same reaction with some noise canceling headphones as well. I returned the phone and went back to a 4s unfortunately. I really liked LTE and the iPhone 5, but it gave me nasty headaches. I'm tempted to go to the GS3 as much as I like iOS just because I want LTE.