Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Seriously considering replacing my 2012 Mac mini 17 with an entry level 13" MBP to be used 90% of the time and possibly more in clamshell mode.

I'm most concerned with fan noise levels. What should I realistically expect using it for normal everyday tasks?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Completely inaudible, just as any other Mac laptop. Under load - hot and loud (but below the market average), again, just as any other Mac laptop.

Reactions: docprego

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Completely inaudible, just as any other Mac laptop. Under load - hot and loud (but below the market average), again, just as any other Mac laptop.
Thank you, I've never had a recent Mac laptop so I'm unsure what to expect. My only experience is a 2011 Air which I use sparingly in single screen mode. It's fan occasionally ramps up but that machine is definitely not a powerhouse.

My usage does include dual screens with the second display often displaying streaming video. Will this put the laptop under load or are we still talking about an inaudible situation? I ask because my current 2012 Mini always amps up the fan speed to 3500+ in this scenario and often to around 5000 which I find quite distracting. I'm hoping the extra horsepower the MBP will have will make this less stressful on the system and therefore negate this?

Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
It's pretty quiet. You can hear it faintly in a quiet room. I use macsfancontrol to make sure my CPU is cool. Have it full blast if it reaches 65C. But the laptop overall is very cool. Mine's the quad core 512GB MBP 2018.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.