Noise when tapping or setting my iPhone 5 down

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I first noticed this when putting my phone down on a table or the arm rest on the couch. Seems like its coming from the top glass section. You can really hear it if you tap in the area. Like something is loose?

My wifes does it as well. Just not as loud.

Anyone else expierence this?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i know that the QC on these phones may not be perfect, but some of these complaints are getting really trivial. like, minute things that no other person would realize.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
i know that the QC on these phones may not be perfect, but some of these complaints are getting really trivial. like, minute things that no other person would realize.
I feel the exact same way. I don't post much and I have nothing to complain about at all. Its not something I would return the phone for as mine has been flawless since I opened the box.

Just seemed weird to me. Thats all.

When I set it down, it just seems like a loose screw sound.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I feel the exact same way. I don't post much and I have nothing to complain about at all. Its not something I would return the phone for as mine has been flawless since I opened the box.

Just seemed weird to me. Thats all.

When I set it down, it just seems like a loose screw sound.
I have that rattling noise too, it seems to be coming from the power/wake button up top. But it doesn't really bother me.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I've owned every generation of iPhone and never had any rattling sound. This is my first incident with it rattling.

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
Unless you are in space I'm sure you'll always hear sounds when tapping or setting down your phone :D

apadden

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Okay everyone. Place your finger on the sleep/wake button and tap it again. If it doesn't make the noise, it's because you have a loose button. It's nothing to worry about because some are made tightly secured and other loose. Mine is loose and nothing is wrong with it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I've owned every generation of iPhone and never had any rattling sound. This is my first incident with it rattling.
ive only owned this one and the 4 and both appear to be solid. i do miss the size and weight of the 4 though. OP, whats your build month?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the rattle as well. At first I thought it was my case but could still hear it after taking off the case. I've never noticed the rattle in either my 4S or 3S. Has anyone asked Apple about the rattle? I'm happy with my phone in every other way and will be okay with the rattle providing it's an innate characteristic of the phone and not something floating around loose in the phone that might cause a functional problem down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.