noise

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
i had a windoze tower i built a year ago and it made noise constantly... it drove me nuts. i finally discovered that if i went to the sound panel and muted "CD Audio" the sound would stop. cant figure out why exactly it worked... but it got rid of all the backround noise, and in addition i could still play cds. in fact i have that comp still and if i uncheck the box i still get weird sounds... my guess is maybe if you open up your tower and check the cable goin from the cd drive to the motherboard (or sound card) and check to see if its "clean" - no rips or anything... check also if its plugged in right. if its bad you can replace it at like frys or somethin... worth a look

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Ok, I'm confused. Did this come up in a question somewhere else and you hit new thread instead of new replyl?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think firewire2001 might have hit the wrong button. f2001 did this earlier.

Just remember: To reply, go to the upper or lower corner of the particular issue page you are on and hit "post reply".

Hey, think of it this way:
(1) You are getting free posts, and
(2) So far it appears as if you haven't been flamed at! (Usually that stuff is aimed toward the top dogs here at Macrumors.)

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy!

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
WHAT!

Originally posted by King Cobra
I think firewire2001 might have hit the wrong button. f2001 did this earlier.

Just remember: To reply, go to the upper or lower corner of the particular issue page you are on and hit "post reply".

Hey, think of it this way:
(1) You are getting free posts, and
(2) So far it appears as if you haven't been flamed at! (Usually that stuff is aimed toward the top dogs here at Macrumors.)

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy!
TOP DOGS! WHY YOU LITTLE *&^%*( PIECE OF #(*#(!!!

Hehe, I am just kidding. :p

Remember firwire, hit POST REPLY and not New Thread!

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hehhe

Yeah, I sure did. I guess the iMac is realllly picky about the head you use and how you put it in the port. I tried two cables, but only one worked. On other computers, they both worked!

BTW, Congrats on 500!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.