Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
I've at long last bought a new Mac Mini and 13inch MacBook Pro to replace ageing machines. Mini is fine but I'm having difficulty getting on with the MBP owing to the noisy keyboard - it's far more noticeable than the old 2009 MBP and indeed the extended Mac desktop keyboard I have, both of which are really good.

Otherwise the MBP is great - the keyboard is also fine to type on, bar the noise, which would be off-putting in meetings I attend.

I'm in two minds about returning it as not even in first week yet - it's a very expensive machine that I would have to live with for several years.

Any thoughts? Are other latest notebooks just as bad (should I decamp to Windows). Or maybe I should go for an older MBP. Actually Windows is not an option as the idea is to have a backup machine should one fail.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Which model did you purchase?

The 2018s are much more tolerable with noise, the 2019s further still. But if you bought a MBP without Touch Bar those still use the second gen keyboard which is very very noisy.

You can try a keyboard cover to dampen the noise a bit. But I hate how those feel personally.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
Which model did you purchase?

The 2018s are much more tolerable with noise, the 2019s further still. But if you bought a MBP without Touch Bar those still use the second gen keyboard which is very very noisy.

You can try a keyboard cover to dampen the noise a bit. But I hate how those feel personally.

Just bought new and shipped last week and is 2019 i5 model with Touchbar. At first I thought there was a sound click on for the keys but no...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Apple needs to suck it up and revert to another keyboard design. It sounds like OP is questioning whether he should keep the machine because of the keyboard. I outright refuse to buy it because of the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The 2009 keyboard was a bit squishy. The 2012-2015 were a little more clicky. The 2016 and later are more so, especially the original 2016. If you want a quiet damped keyboard MacBook Pros do not have that any more and really have not for a number of years.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The 2009 keyboard was a bit squishy. The 2012-2015 were a little more clicky. The 2016 and later are more so, especially the original 2016. If you want a quiet damped keyboard MacBook Pros do not have that any more and really have not for a number of years.

We may need to wait for the current management to leave before it can happen again.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
I returned it. Shame as it's perfect in all other respects but the keyboard is a deal breaker. I can't take it to meetings and type notes with any confidence and I dislike the noise and feel anyway just in my own office. I really didn't think Apple would be fouling up on this in 2019.

In contrast my new i7 Mac Mini is fantastic. I will have to keep the old Mini as a backup machine while I ponder the notebook situation. I do have a 2009 MBP with a nice quiet keyboard but sadly I can't control the fan for long on it now.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
London
I'm not so concerned about noise from a desktop keyboard but on a notebook that's used in quiet situations such as libraries, meetings and lectures then it's more of a concern. As Apple sells a lot into the education market, I'm surprised it opted for this design.

I've found a good local (to me in London) source of refurb Macbook Pros and will probably pick up a 2015 model when I need it.

https://www.hoxtonmacs.co.uk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I find the keyboard pretty quiet. But, you have to adopt a lighter touch. And I also prefer mechanical keyboards with their more positive key press feedback. But MX brown switches for me. As a result I like the keyboard on my 2018 MBP.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm not so concerned about noise from a desktop keyboard but on a notebook that's used in quiet situations such as libraries, meetings and lectures then it's more of a concern. As Apple sells a lot into the education market, I'm surprised it opted for this design.

I've found a good local (to me in London) source of refurb Macbook Pros and will probably pick up a 2015 model when I need it.

https://www.hoxtonmacs.co.uk

I have a fully-loaded 2015 (2.8, AMD, 1 TB) for sale locally for $1,300. I'm quite tempted. I noticed that some of the online resellers have dropped their prices on 2015s too.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
You can't please everyone. Many like noisy keyboards - witness the sales of clicky mechanical keyboards. And lots of people like quiet keyboards. I prefer clicky myself and use Cherry MX Blues.

Couldn't agree more. Also a MX Blue fan myself!

That being said, I think the users who are complaining must be people who "bottom out" and as a result are literally hammering on the keys. When I'm typing on my 2018 MBP it is insane how little noise I hear compared to what people here report. My only guess as to why that is... I don't "bottom out" with every keypress. This is not only faster, but much less strenuous on the fingers so you have far less fatigue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.