Nokia's new Lumia - With a nice little poll!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, Nov 8, 2011.

?

Are you considering the Nokia Lumia 800?

1. Yes - Nokia Lumia 800 is something I am considering/will purchase.

31 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No - Nokia Lumia 800 is not something I am considering.

69 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Just looking at a few hands on promo vids of the upcoming Nokia Lumia. I am a huge huge fan of Nokia phones, I think they are the only company besides Apple to build such a solid phone.

I am in the market for a phone, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for all things coming out until one does inevitably grab me, could this be it though? ....possibly.

I see a lot of attention is diverted towards Samsung galaxy S2 / Nexus, but haven't really seen the Nokia mentioned at all. I realise it is running the evil Microsofts OS, but it does, to me look like a good competitor and just a good solid phone. It might not have the dual core processor or amazing ecosystem, but I think it is definitely a phone that could be considered worthwhile.

Let me just end this by saying, I did have a Nokia N8, I did love the solid build quality, but hated Symbian...never had the pleasure of MeeGo! but that's probably for the best as well.

So, is anyone else considering the Nokia phone, possibly over an iPhone? or perhaps over one of the 'hot' Android phones out at the moment...vote in the poll and reply with your thoughts. Thank you. :)

2. Skream macrumors member

I like it, not as much as the 4S but it's a step in the right direction for Nokia and WP7. Can't wait to see them put out more competitive products.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I like it. And I like Microsoft's OS. It's original. Not like some other copied OS and slapped some widgets on it.

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Definitely moving to WP7 next year, that's for sure.

As for now I'm happy with Android and iOS so I'll stay here.

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Don't like the design of the Lumia...just my personal taste.

I'm considering the Galaxy Nexus or waiting for the next iPhone. (I also don't like the 4/4S design...again...personal taste).

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I said no because I am not really in the market for a phone. But I agree, Nokia is pretty good. this is the order of phones I would choose from:

iPhone
    Blackberry
    Nokia
    Jitterbug

No phone at all

Android

7. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Considering this is an iPhone section and the phone is 'below' spec wise top of the range smartphones already out, I think 33% yes 66% no is a pretty good result for the Lumia so far.

I have waited a long time to see Nokia ditch their failed OS, and I'm glad to see they've done it. I'm also very much looking forward to future products which will hopefully be competitive in tomorrows market.

8. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in trying a GREAT WP7/8 phone as it was windows mobile that opened my eyes to the smartphone world. MS has the potential for great things, but I'll wait until their platform matures a bit more. After using IOS and Android devices for the past few years, I would find it hard to leave such a strong developer base.

@TM WAZZA, surely you don't think the Android is repackaged iOS. It's a pretty solid OS that takes it's UI cues from iOS (after iDevices came out no manufacturer could ignore the power of swipe, pinch to zoom, gestures, etc). Although some manufacturers implementations downright copy iOS UI, I'm not sure I would damn the entire OS.

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If I wasn't so heavily entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, I'd definitely consider the Lumia. Nokia was my favourite phone company until Apple came along. I'm actually quite pleased to see them reinventing themselves and (so far) returning to high-quality, competitive design.

10. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

I've just switched from a Nokia 5230 to an iPhone 4S, which is my first non-Nokia Phone, because my phone was slow and often crashed. I don't think I'll go back to a Nokia anytime soon :p.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm pretty much decided that I'm getting a WP7 device next. I don't have the money yet but hopefully soon. I'm hoping Nokia brings out something with a bigger screen because that's what I want; a Lumia 800 with a 4.3" screen

12. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I kinda want it tbh. I've always loved Nokia and I'm really curious about Windows Phone 7

What the **** is a jitterbug

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Giant Cellphones for the seeing impaired (read elderly)

[​IMG]

14. meatballs macrumors 6502

The Lumia 800 is the first Nokia phone that impresses me. As I understand it Nokia will only be making WP's from now on. The Lumia 800 is their first WP and it is the king of WP's, imagine next year :eek:

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

16. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought N9 was MeeGo ? The dead OS

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Was never interested in Nokia phones and the Lumia isn't a phone that would sway me to drop the iPhone.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It is by no means dead. In fact a meaty update was just rolled out today. And another update is already in the works.

19. zipster macrumors 6502

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Google?
    [​IMG]

21. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

22. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Nice phone. Nice OS.

All it needs is a multi-format video player like (AVplayer,Oplayer, goodplayer etc etc for iOS) and i would be set.

And some better specs so we can play all the cool games and media plus good cameras.

And would love a 3rd person halo for it!

Anyways, having had android, my next choice after iOS would definitely would be this. I think microsoft has a better action plan than google, they are just taking their sweet time :p

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Nokia and Microsoft aren't going to get anywhere unless they push into the CDMA market. Sure they have GSM but a strong portion of the US is on CDMA. Not releasing this to Verizon within the next month or so would be a huge mistake.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

They're focusing on European markets first, the US is not a major focus for them yet.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No, simply because it runs on WP7 and not iOS. I have too many apps and accessories (found in other threads here if you're curious) that it would cost too much money to switch platforms right now.

----------

Tell that to Apple when they partnered up with AT&T and they didn't just fine prior to this Verizon and Sprint mumbo jumbo (though I am glad they added them, they don't NEED any CDMA penetration, they just need to get either AT&T or T-Mobile on board with it). They need to actually sell it through ANY CARRIER at all in the US and it will actually gain traction. But the unlocked model won't work here in the US (see: Nexus One)...there needs to be a subsidized version.

Remember NEED vs. WANT. Apple didn't NEED to add it on VZW and Sprint, but they WANTED to.