Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today unveiled the Base Station Stand, a single device wireless charger designed to charge Qi-based products like the iPhone and the AirPods.

The Base Station Stand, priced at $100, can only charge one device at a time, but it is equipped with two charging coils to offer both horizontal or vertical iPhone charging as well as AirPods and AirPods Pro charging.

nomadstand-800x555.jpg

Most stand-based Qi wireless chargers are equipped with one coil and are meant to charge the iPhone only in an upright orientation, so a stand that can charge in either orientation and also has the capacity to charge AirPods is useful.

The Base Station Stand offers up to 10W of charging, though Apple's iPhones max out at 7.5W. It ships with a USB-A to USB-C cable, it features a machined aluminum frame and a leather charging pad, and it comes with an 18W wall adapter with US, UK, and EU plugs.

nomadstand2-800x534.jpg

The Base Station Stand can be purchased from the Nomad website starting today.

Article Link: Nomad Unveils New 'Base Station Stand' Wireless Charger for iPhone and AirPods

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
Finally someone realized charging stands need power buttons. Because the fact that I need to put my phone somewhere doesn't mean that on every such occasion I also want to charge the damn thing.

But yeah, the price is stupid. When did they last take a look around on Amazon?

Reactions: erinsarah and CVUSA

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Finally someone realized charging stands need power buttons. Because the fact that I need to put my phone somewhere doesn't mean that on every such occasion I also want to charge the damn thing
Why would you ever *not* want to top off the charge?

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Except the link you provided has nothing to do with mid-day few minutes charges all the time. It talks about overnight charging, completely different story.

Sure, but still very related.

Topping off the battery or keeping it on the charger won't hinder battery life to the extent it used to in the past.

It makes charging easier.
Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product.

Last edited:
Reactions: hipnetic

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
Sure, but still very related.

Topping off the battery or keeping it on the charger won't hinder battery life to the extent it used to in the past.

So you admit it's still not healtthy for the battery, just less bad. I don't know why you're so opposed to the idea of being in control of when the thing should or should not charge. I think it's the most basic aspect of any charger.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I bought a dual orientation wireless QI charger on amazon for 20$ last year.

This. There aren’t a lot of them, but they are out there.

I prefer them flush with the table surface because I find most fixed angle ones have to much reflection. You can pick up a plush dual orientation 10w charger that can adjust its angle 90 degrees for under $35. Is this a brand thing or just a slashvertisement?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To me, there’s nothing really that unique about this product.

According to Nomad:

Base Station Stand is a dedicated one-device charger. It's design eliminates the hot spots and dead zones commonly found in multi-device chargers.”

The fact that it’s a ‘one device charger’ and not a multi device charger is kind of annoying. I’d rather charge my AirPods and iPhone simultaneously. Now, nomad is saying this specific wireless charger eliminates hotspot/dead zones commonly found in multi device chargers, which might be somewhat true, but is it worth $100 simply because you can charge your iPhone or AirPods separately versus together? I don’t think consumers are going to see the value in spending this much money.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So you admit it's still not healtthy for the battery, just less bad. I don't know why you're so opposed to the idea of being in control of when the thing should or should not charge. I think it's the most basic aspect of any charger.

No, I never said that.

I also never said I was opposed to being in control. You can always just take it off of the charger, or unplug the cable from the stand. Having the button is nice.

I am, however, against misinformation. Putting your phone on a charger when it's at 80% doesn't degrade the battery any faster than when it's at 20 or 10%.

Personally I don't agree with that hyperlinked statement. Battery degradation is the PRIMARY reason I shop for a new phone for someone in my family.

Both good points. I actually don't like putting my phone on the charger when it's at 80% LOL . But I know that it won't hurt battery life. I just like to drain the battery every now and then ... otherwise why demand better battery life.

I also do the same thing. The last iPhone I had (the 6 Plus) was replaced because the battery life on it was abysmal, but it was almost 2 years old at that point.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Most stand-based Qi wireless chargers are equipped with one coil and are meant to charge the iPhone only in an upright orientation, so a stand that can charge in either orientation and also has the capacity to charge AirPods is useful.

That's unequivocally false.

Most Qi stands on the market employ two coils, allowing for both orientations, whether Anker, Ravpower, Yootech, iOttie, or other lesser brands all over Amazon.

Those that don't, and employ only a single coil, like the Logitech Powered and Belkin Boost up, have physical risers which allow the device to be aligned with their coil when positioned in landscape orientation.

Such a statement could only originate from someone who's unfamiliar with the market, or blindly relying on a press release's claims.

VrEpicist

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
Looks very good but the price is expensive. I have been recently looking for wireless charger, is there any that has similar clean design like this but cheaper ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.