Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
My husband is the account holder/owner and we are both on a family plan. AT&T says I can by my phone without his presence IF he calls to authorize me. He did. 2 Apple stores have told me it doesn't matter because AT&T told them to sell only to the main holder of the account. Period.

So even though I'm "authorized", Apple won't let me buy my own phone. I would have to go to an AT&T store (which I won't do and would probably have problems anyway). No phone for me tomorrow. wow

If anyone has any conflicting info - I'd love to hear it.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Apple stores have a limited view into the customer records via Opus. They will not have full account notes and will NOT be able to see the authorized information. It is a slim verzion that will say Yes, or No and select packages. Period.

I would not risk waiting at the apple store. I

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
My husband is the account holder/owner and we are both on a family plan. AT&T says I can by my phone without his presence IF he calls to authorize me. He did. 2 Apple stores have told me it doesn't matter because AT&T told them to sell only to the main holder of the account. Period.

So even though I'm "authorized", Apple won't let me buy my own phone. I would have to go to an AT&T store (which I won't do and would probably have problems anyway). No phone for me tomorrow. wow

If anyone has any conflicting info - I'd love to hear it.

Why won't you go to an AT&T store? You one of the Apple nuts who has to buy Apple products at an Apple store?

If anything I would expect to have fewer problems at the AT&T store, though a bit more pushing by the salesman to buy acessories. They are in the sole business to sell phones and plans, it's what they do day in and day out.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Apple = kinder/gentler/better return/swap policy if something goes amiss.

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
So this is lame. I'm an authorized user as well, but you're telling me that I have to bring my dad with me to the AT&T store to buy an iPhone like I'm 12 years old or something?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Not the AT&T store - Just the Apple. You have to bring him if you go to the Apple store. As per 2 Apple stores I called.

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Not the AT&T store - Just the Apple. You have to bring him if you go to the Apple store. As per 2 Apple stores I called.

Wow, you'd think Apple would actually let people know in advance. As it is, with their employees knew to cell phone activations and the aT&T questions that go with it, you know there is going to be a lot of confusion and frustration tomorrow.

I can't imagine what I would have done, if I had not read this topic, and gone to an Apple store at 7am as planned tomorrow. Now I'll be going to AT&T. Thank you so much for alerting us about this.

dangoland

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Really now? I'm in the same package. I was planning on going to an AT&T store first anyways. I kinda feel bad for apple store employees, they are going to get quite a bitching tomorrow. But if AT&T sells out before I get one, Apple better let me buy one.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Have you shopped at an Apple store?

Yes and on one occasions they severely mucked up my experience, so much so that I had ppl calling me for days apologizing.

I've always purchased right from Apple's website.

Is the return policy better at Apple and I would not have access to that if I purchase from AT&T? The line will likely be much shorter at AT&T and I have numbers to port as well.

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2008
sorry i don't want to hijack your thread but i have a similar question.

i was planning on purchasing/replacing my current iphone for the new one at the Apple Store, but I don't think they will be able to handle my situation
I am the account holder but the iphone is a secondary line on a family plan. Can I go in an apple store and just upgrade/replace my current iphone on the family plan or will i have to go to the At&t store?
I am also hearing that apple is requiring 2 iphones to be purchased if its a family plan and that basically you have to re-setup the entire account, is this true?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Alerma - You should have zero problem. You are the account holder and have special powers.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple = kinder/gentler/better return/swap policy if something goes amiss.

If you buy an iPhone from AT&T you can still return it to Apple. Other than the 'niceness' of buying your phone in the Apple store, there is no difference.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
I'm in a similar situation. The account holder won't be with me tomorrow when I purchase my iPhone, but I am an authorized user.

After calling two Apple stores, I got similar answers:

"At the moment, I'm not really sure. To be safe, I suggest you go to an at&t store."

So I'll probably end up going to at&t. I don't want to wait in line for hours at an Apple store to hear that I have to go back to at&t and wait some more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.