Non-activated Verizon iPhone 5 wifi battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CheesyTators, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CheesyTators macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 that I am using as an "ipod touch" as it is currently not active on my Verizon account. The problem is that after two full restores as a "new" iphone, using wifi only, the battery drains 2% per 10 minutes without ANY use at all.

Prior to deactivating the phone I was getting awesome battery life, especially on wifi and very good still on 4G LTE. Not sure what happen. I have not added ANY apps, or messed with any settings, it is a full fresh restore. I have narrowed it down using process of elimination.

Airplane mode = No battery drain
    Cellular on (not even activated) + Wifi off = No battery Drain
    Wifi on + Cellular off = BATTERY DRAIN
    Wifi on + Cellular on = BATTERY DRAIN

Am I having this problem because I deactivated the phone? I haven't made any other changes whatsoever.

Thanks.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes. Remove your sim card and keep Cellular off. With it on. it's draining your battery looking for a signal. With cell on, you can still diall 911, so it's constantly looking for towers.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

The above post is correct. The same goes for when you have low service, the harder the phone tries to find a tower, the more battery life is consumed.

4. CheesyTators, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

CheesyTators thread starter macrumors member

*** Update: It's fixed!! *** No drain with SIM card out, Cellular off and Wifi on. I guess even though wifi was on, after the screen went off, wifi went off and it began searching for a cell tower causing the battery drain. Makes sense now.

Thanks for the help.

5. Demonface macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is inactive and it's always on Airplane Mode w/ WiFi On. Doesnt seem to drain the battery .