Non-Americans, do you resent the US for its economic influence?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Do you resent US economic influence?

1. Yes.

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No.

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The question is simple, if you do not live in the US, do you resent the fact that it has so much power over the global economy? Most people would agree the economic woes of the world right now can be traced to the current condition in America. Is this a reason to resent it, a necessary evil etc?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

they like to blame the US but it is the nature of the beast and a world economy. The Resesion in 2001 can be traced by to Europe. In 1987 it can be traced by to Asia.

Also you can blame Eurpope in part for this mess because when it started they said it was a British/US problem and would not effect them.... Now looks like they are talking a pounding the same way. Global economy....

3. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, it is a global economy, but the US has 300 million citizens, with a comparatively very high buying power. Because of that, their fortune has a larger global weight than the other economic powers of the world.

What I'm trying to prod at is how non US people think of the ethics at the source at some of these issues.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or what about do they like how the economy turns up when the US economy turns up....its a double edged sword...

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm annoyed they thought sub-prime mortgages were a good idea...

"Oh, no money? No problem, we'll give you a house"

Bad idea.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And that's only the half of it. Next, they said "Well lets take these risky mortgages and package them up into bundles so big that they can't possibly all fail. Then let's get bond agencies to rate them as prime, even though they started out as subprime. And lets let the value of those instruments well exceed total GDP. Oh and let's let financial institutions that aren't regulated like banks in on the party.

More bad ideas.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

no, I'm just jealous of how cheap stuff is there. Gas, food, entertainment, cars, things in general. And I only live in Canada!

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Of course not. It was a part of what caused the slump in world markets, but when it picks up it will pick the world up with it.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

`It's cool here. We make most of our money from selling stuff like iron ore and uranium to Asian countries and other assorted rogue states sorry trade partners. We're relatively insulated these days. Our banks are stable due to making obscene profits from charging account keeping fees. Overall things are OK in Australia as long as we don't run out of stuff to dig up.

10. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Well, EU is a bigger economy than USA is. That said, I don't really "resent" USA. It depends what they do with their power. If they use it for bad, than it's.... well, bad. If they use it for good, then it's good.

In short: power alone is not something that earns resent. What you do with that power is.

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Shhhh! The US is almighty.

I wonder if they will resent The People's Republic of China.

Exactly right.

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Do I resent these latest Masters of the Universe in New York for creating wealth that never existed through being too clever by half? Certainly. But not as much as I despise the rest of the world for blindly following.

13. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

I think most Europeans resent the -political- influence of the USA. Especially since Bush.

14. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I'll buy you electronics and cars for life if you pay for my healthcare for life.

The U.S may have driven the problem, but Paul Krugman will credit Gordon Brown for solving the crisis, if the international response works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/opinion/13krugman.html?ref=opinion

This sort of temporary part-nationalization, which is often referred to as an “equity injection,” is the crisis solution advocated by many economists — and sources told The Times that it was also the solution privately favored by Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman.

But when Henry Paulson, the U.S. Treasury secretary, announced his plan for a $700 billion financial bailout, he rejected this obvious path, saying, “That’s what you do when you have failure.” Instead, he called for government purchases of toxic mortgage-backed securities, based on the theory that ... actually, it never was clear what his theory was.

Meanwhile, the British government went straight to the heart of the problem — and moved to address it with stunning speed. On Wednesday, Mr. Brown’s officials announced a plan for major equity injections into British banks, backed up by guarantees on bank debt that should get lending among banks, a crucial part of the financial mechanism, running again. And the first major commitment of funds will come on Monday — five days after the plan’s announcement.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Power is not something to be resented.

Irresponsibility is.