Non-destructive partitioning tool for OS X

TheJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
Central Coast, CA
Can anyone recommend non-destructive partitioning software for OS X? Does such a tool exist? I need to dual boot Debain w/ OS X, but don't want to wipe my OS X partition to make room.

Thanks!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I dont think you can do that

I dont think such a product exists... and if it does... I woudnt use it... I bet it would cause problems.

I could have sworn there was a HFS resizer that worked perfectly. A friend of mine has installed Linux that way.

It's for Classic OSes only, though; not OS X.

I forget what it was called, but I'll ask my friend when I talk to him for the next time. You could simply put that on your OS X partition and boot from OS 9 CD and launch it off.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: I dont think you can do that

Originally posted by evildead
I dont think such a product exists... and if it does... I woudnt use it... I bet it would cause problems.
That is what I was thinking. To my knowledge that is impossible. I may be wrong though.

Re: Re: I dont think you can do that

Originally posted by scem0
That is what I was thinking. To my knowledge that is impossible. I may be wrong though.
Why would it be impossible? It's been done before. Yes, even in UNIX. Yes, even in Mac OS 9 and down.

The question was, is there a Mac OS X version of that kind of program? I, for one, sure don't know.

Tried google?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Hard Disk Toolkit MAY work

HD Toolkit offers non-destructive HFS (and HFS+ I think) resizing, but I've never tried it. I'd be afraid of it screwing up file permissions as will have to move things around on the volume. (Although, if it's just moving the bits around, it should be as safe as Norton Speed Disk)

As others said, nothing exists for doing it from OS X as far as any of us know. (You wouldn't be able to do it to a drive that you're booted to anyway)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i don't think you can do that, and even if you could i don't think that you should. you should check the Apple Knowledge Base to see if there's anything there about it.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I just didn't think it was possible because I had never heard of anyone doing it. I generally know, but occasionally I am wrong.