Non-Retina MBP 2012, Not alot of talk about it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watchgeerun, Jun 19, 2012.

1. watchgeerun macrumors newbie

watchgeerun

I haven't seen alot of reviews for this, I ordered the 15" Retina at first, when everyone did, and cancelled my order and got the new pro with the 8gb and Hi Res upgrade. But i want to know more about if the old skins will fit it, I haven't seen any 2012 skins so idk, would a bezel skin look better because it doesn't have a black one like the glossy display?

I just really want to hear more about it, its going to be my first Macbook, but i have experience with Mac Pros and iMacs.

2. icewing macrumors 6502

I just received mine this morning; like you I'm interested in whether to install a skin. This thing is FAST! Very pleased with it. Please let me know which skin you decide on and how you like it.

3. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

Skins? Are those just sticker overlays for the body? I honestly don't know. My 15" Non-Retina MBP is scheduled for a Thursday morning delivery. I'M SO PSYCHED! Now, to wait on a 256GB Samsung 830 deal to come along. :cool:

4. watchgeerun thread starter macrumors newbie

watchgeerun

Re:

Yeah it pretty much is a sticker, these ones i found at this website (http://skinpee.com/collections/15-macbook-pro/products/15mbp-leather) are leather, check out the white one, tell me that wont look clean as hell.

I figure that if i get the skin to protect it from scratches and a good sleeve for falls. I probably wont drop it when I'm using it so i don't need a case

5. pumanger macrumors newbie

The more I think about it, I am leaning towards non-retina 2012 MBP 15,4" high res model. Load it with Samsung 830 256GB SSD + later add 512GB SSD to optibay when prices drop little bit more.

My only consern is -- does this 2012 non-retina also get very hot? What kind of temperatures does it get in heavy stress?

6. watchgeerun thread starter macrumors newbie

watchgeerun

Yeah for me i had to cancel the Retina because of the Resolution issues, I don't doubt its something that will be fixed, but for my job I would rather have a mac that is more compatible with the other ones out, and I just don't feel like having to be the first people who have to learn how to work with the High Res screen and scaling.

Ill wait till they got that on point.

7. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

That white leather does look pretty slick. Skin + sleeve sound like a pretty good combo.

That's the route I'm gonna take also. I'm just gonna move the stock 750GB HDD to the optibay and get a 256GB Samsung 830 as my main. It kinda stinks that the non-retina MBP hasn't gotten much attention from reviewers, but it makes sense because everyone wants to jump on the retina MBP. I'd also like to see more temperature tests for both retina and non-retina. I believe there's a thread somewhere where a test is set up in order to monitor temperatures of the non-retina MBPs under heavy stress.

----------

This is the thread I was referring to: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389518

Unfortunately, no one has posted up any results at this moment.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm with ya guys!

I bought the 2.3GHz HR/AG 15" MBP with 4GB RAM (upgrading to 16GB sometime later this summer) and the 750 GB HDD @ 7200RPM this morning. Not too excited for the retina MBP.

9. Aragorn234 macrumors member

Glad to see I am not the only one disappointed about the lack of coverage on the non-retina MBP.

Looking at this one also with the Hr/AG display and 7200rpm drive.

Does anyone know for certain if Optibay is compatible with the new MBP. I have not seen anything to suggest either way.

In addition is the Samsung 830 the recommended SSD UPGRADE for MBP?

10. watchgeerun thread starter macrumors newbie

watchgeerun

I think we would have an answer to all of these questions if there was a decent video review.

Has anyone found any? I cant, There like all Retina reviews or people who put 2012 but its really a 2011 with upgrades

11. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

You can't go wrong with the Samsung 830. It's a great drive and one of the fastest available. If I'm not mistaken Apple is using Samsung technology in the new RMBP's. I decided to hang on to my late 2011 MBP running a Samsung SSD. I'm sure the retina models are great but decided to wait until the customary kinks in a new product are worked out. Besides that my MBP runs pretty darn fast and smooth. The only other change I made besides the SSD was adding 16 GB of RAM. I don't think you will regret your decision.

Can't very if the optibay is the same as I have not seen the inside of the 2012. However, as someone mentioned, the 2012 is an upgrade of the 2011 and I'd be willing to bet there were no changes in that area.

12. powerslave65 macrumors regular

cMBP is great. Runs cooler than last year and fully upgradeable. AG screen is phenomenal as well very happy. nice not seeing the backlit keyboard in the screen.

13. whdigital macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more. I think it's cooler and quieter too! So happy I have this one and CTO was nice and fast. Nice feeling that I can upgrade the RAM and HDDs when and how I want. Oh and HR that actually looks it with most software vs. scaled crap on the Retina (but that should improve as apps update). ENet and SuperDrive without carrying more pieces and adapters? This is the best all around by a mile IMHO!

14. getwellsoon macrumors newbie

Do you have the base model with 512 MB Vram or the highend version with 1024MB vram?
    You already tried gaming or anything on the low end version?
    Also looking forward to buy the cMBP in the low end version. Wanna use it 4-5 years minimum and i am a bit worried that the 512mb vram could become to a bottle neck.
    Now i am using a macbook white mid 2007. Was still enough for playing a little bit. Games like WoW are still working, slow and with bad settings but thats ok.
    So i dont need high end grafics but i still wanna be happy with the book in 4-5 years. The macbook white also made it 5 years...

Are you all using the antiglare screen? I prefer the black edge of the glossy one and saw some youtube videos where you could see that the colors are so much stronger on the glossy one.
    When i had a look at both at a shop i was impressed about the antiglare because there where no reflections...

Dont know which one to take

15. ConscienceNL macrumors newbie

ConscienceNL

This is exactly where I'm thinking about. I'm about to buy the base cMBP with 8 GB RAM and High-Res, but I don't know how good the 512 MB for the coming few years will be. This new Nvidia GT 650M is already a great graphics card with the keplar architecture. I just want to know if the 512 MB will last for some years.

16. ladeer macrumors 6502

OMG GUYS!!

The thread starter joined MacRumor THIS MONTH and posted this thread for the sole purpose of starting a conversation on "skin," so on his first reply he could subtly advertised you that link!!!

How do I know? I can smell a viral marketing tactic a mile away, because I know how they work. I even know a person whose job is going to different disease support-group forums to fake post on medical tourism (surgery in third world country where they charge dirt cheap prices).

17. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

The non retina 15" is a very nice laptop, but the thing that really irks me and completely put me off upgrading was that the default configuration has a 5400rpm HDD in it. It is 2012, a 5400rpm in a PRO laptop is criminal, this thing should come with a 256GB SSD at the minimum, even the 7200rpm drive costs money to change to.

I understand you can change the HDD yourself but it still adds massively to the cost of the machine.

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Not at all:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15083892#post15083892

No. The Western Digital WD10JPVT, one of the fastest 2.5" HDDs costs around 130 US$:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

For best results, use the first 50-100 GByte of the disk (1st partition) for the OS and your applications.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Your plan is excellent!

Now that Ive had a new retina MBP to compare to my fully maxed out 15" 2011 MBP hi-res, anti-glare with the 512GB SSD Samsung 830 I installed, I greatly prefer the easily upgradeable MBP.

Heat is how you know it's a Mac :)

Apple values style first, builds thin laptops with very little venting so as not to ruin the looks. Then they jack up the specs so it "runs within range" and if need be, they've got it designed to shut down. I've always found that rather odd, but its normal.

I never use any laptop on my lap or soft surface so airs free to circulate.

If I want cool I just use my new 15" ThinkPad of identical configuration, with it's superior thermal management system. Only 0.3" thicker, it's got super quiet dual fans, ample slotted vents on the sides & a great composite carbon fiber housing. It's a rocket after I installed the same model of SSD as I used in my MBP. Being so quiet & cool under heavy loads, it's a treat.

20. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

While $130 is not a lot, I still believe that a £1800 laptop should have an SSD as standard and not a hard drive that the user still has to upgrade after purchase to get better performance.

21. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

Hmm...I wonder. I also just joined the forums recently, so I'm not to keen on sensing these things haha. Even so, the thread doesn't seem to be revolving around the skin so no harm done (I think). I, myself, am not a fan of skins but I can see why others would be.

Anyways, my non-retina MBP is getting delivered tomorrow morning. I'll probably try to do some sort of unboxing/review or something since we all know that there aren't many out there. :rolleyes:

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its really a spec bump with the current line of intel processors, im sure there are some reviews out there but there was nothing new about it that really made you put on your boner pants for.

23. fryrice macrumors member

thats y they introduce the mbpr so users don't have to worry about upgrading after purchases lol

24. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

If you are going with a skin for your Mac Book Pro's I would highly suggest you go with iCarbons. They use high quality 3M materials and they fit exactly on to your Mac Book Pro's. Check it out:

http://www.icarbons.com/pages/computers

25. Kingofnima macrumors newbie

Great to fine a thread of like minded people. I also am ordering the non-retina version. I most likely will go for the base one with the antiglare/high resolution. Can't wait to try this thing out.