Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hi all,

With the new MBA released, coming in lighter (albeit less powerful with a 7W processor) than the nTB MBP, will Apple discard the nTB MBP going forward as it hasn't been updated with the TB MBP line? Were new dual-core CPUs that were for the nTB MBP released at the same time as there quad-core counterparts that have gone into the refreshed 2018 TB MBP?

Thanks

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
I had lunch with Tim Cook last week and he said it will be discarded soon.

Reactions: chabig

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I had lunch with Tim Cook last week and he said it will be discarded soon.
His lunch or the non Touch Bar?

Apple went all in on the touch bar no matter how stupid it may be it's not going away.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
Hi all,

With the new MBA released, coming in lighter (albeit less powerful with a 7W processor) than the nTB MBP, will Apple discard the nTB MBP going forward as it hasn't been updated with the TB MBP line? Were new dual-core CPUs that were for the nTB MBP released at the same time as there quad-core counterparts that have gone into the refreshed 2018 TB MBP?

Thanks
I could be wrong as there are more lakes in Intel’s lineup than I can keep up with, but I don’t think there’s a proper replacement for the 15w chip Apple uses in the nTB MBP with Iris Plus graphics. Now that I’ve seen what the 2018 MBA is, I hope they can keep the nTB Pro in the lineup. It needs the latest butterfly keyboard too.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
nTB is definitely in an awkward position right now, especially when it wasn't upgraded alongside the 2018 TB's.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I would say the nTB is going away because the product line is too cluttered, but without S. Jobs that does not particularly seem to bother Apple.

Check out the laptop line they are going forward with, following the Oct 30th event o_O

Poopscreen MacBook Air
MacBook
New MacBook Air
nTB MacBook Pro
MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
The current Frankenstein lineup is really terrible, they should definitely streamline it into 2 clear product lines (MB/MBA, pick the name you prefer, and MBP). Non-retina MBA and nTB MBP will likely get the axe at some point.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The current Frankenstein lineup is really terrible, they should definitely streamline it into 2 clear product lines (MB/MBA, pick the name you prefer, and MBP). Non-retina MBA and nTB MBP will likely get the axe at some point.

Ridiculous clutter

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I could be wrong as there are more lakes in Intel’s lineup than I can keep up with, but I don’t think there’s a proper replacement for the 15w chip Apple uses in the nTB MBP with Iris Plus graphics. Now that I’ve seen what the 2018 MBA is, I hope they can keep the nTB Pro in the lineup. It needs the latest butterfly keyboard too.

This.

I don’t think they want to discontinue the ntb-MBP... if they wanted to do it, now would have been the time.

There is no reason to keep it... unless apple had plans for it!

The only reason the ntb-MBP wasn’t updated is that intel didn’t have 15W chips that are suitable for it. I believe the GPUs on the new 15w were weaker than the one on my he previous gen. So apple couldn’t update it.

I think they are waiting for intel to release suitable 15w quad core chips for the ntb-MBP.

Then the line-up will make sense:
1. rMBA with long battery life and 7w dual core.
2. ntb-MBP with better screen and 15w quad core
3. MBP 13”
4. MBP 15”

Perhaps they will even drop the MBA price by $100 if it doesn’t sell well. Alternatively they might increase the ntb-MBP price by $50-100.

Reactions: EssModelsRule

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
This.

I don’t think they want to discontinue the ntb-MBP... if they wanted to do it, now would have been the time.

There is no reason to keep it... unless apple had plans for it!

The only reason the ntb-MBP wasn’t updated is that intel didn’t have 15W chips that are suitable for it. I believe the GPUs on the new 15w were weaker than the one on my he previous gen. So apple couldn’t update it.

I think they are waiting for intel to release suitable 15w quad core chips for the ntb-MBP.

Then the line-up will make sense:
1. rMBA with long battery life and 7w dual core.
2. ntb-MBP with better screen and 15w quad core
3. MBP 13”
4. MBP 15”

Perhaps they will even drop the MBA price by $100 if it doesn’t sell well. Alternatively they might increase the ntb-MBP price by $50-100.
15w quad core would be the sweet spot for many. Apple could do a silent update whenever Intel gets the chip ready.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I would get the nTB if they added true tone, touch id, and the new keyboard.

Or the new Air if it had P3 and true tone. Don't need a super powerful CPU.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would get the nTB if they added true tone, touch id, and the new keyboard.

Or the new Air if it had P3 and true tone. Don't need a super powerful CPU.
Apple is making the flagship the touchbar model. If they keep the older version it will be stripped down.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Yeah, the MacBook lineup is messy right now, there should be a cpu shift also. I think nTB mbp should be kicked out, however its 15w ULV cpu should be in the new MacBook Air while Air's cpu should be inside the 12" macbook.

Reactions: EssModelsRule
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.