Non-U.S. Citizens, what changes would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Apr 30, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Seems that there is a fair amount of criticism about the good 'ol U.S.A. from those abroad.

Just out of curiosity, what changes would you like to see in our country to make all you fine folks less critical of America?

banning firearms here?

getting more involved or less involved in the affairs of other nations ?

have us all turn into warm fuzzy bunnies????

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I can see this thread going nowhere good with extreme velocity.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

• Get rid of Guantanamo Bay
    • Less/No Religious rhetoric in the politics

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live here, but I vote for warm, fuzzy bunnies. :)

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

well, maybe people can be mature enough that it stays nice....

I really am pretty curious...

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

- Stricter regulations on firearms, for sure.
    - Better education (read: free college), healthcare, and less military expense.
    - A much better, less american-centered, comprehensive policy towards the third world.
    - "No Religious rhetoric in the politics"
    - Respect of human rights
    - More holidays (it hurts when you meet an american, and he says "I get two weeks per year"
    - Drastic reduction of emissions.

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

• Better geography, history and foreign affairs courses.
    • Stop invading other countries.
    • Quit the nuclear weapons double standard. Set the example by disarming.
    • Stop the attack on science (i.e. discrediting of global warming, restrictions on genetic research).
    • Use the word "America" only when referring to the continent.
    • No religious rhetoric in politics - as other have pointed out.
    • Admit that there's no such thing as a "war on terror" and "people who hate other people's freedoms".
    • Make a serious attempt to address the immigration issue without resorting to wall building.
    • Reduce xenophobia.
    • I know there's more, but I forgot :eek:
    • Bunnies would be nice, but I do expect a certain level of fluffiness as well :D

Anyway, most of the U.S. citizens I know are pretty nice people. Most of this concerns are addressed to your government, more specifically, George W. Bush.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Juan Moro for President.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

As a US citizen who has all the benefits of being a non-citizen :D, I'm wondering why religious rhetoric matters to you since you're not here. I know it's irritating, but strange that it would be something you'd like to see.

Also, I suppose I should add that while I too wish religion and politics would go their separate ways here, I've come to realize that a lot of USAmericans tend to be deeply religious people who are more than willing to talk about it. I don't think the separation would occur anytime in the next 100 years.

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I think it's because sometimes it sounds (the way Bush and other politicians speak) like God is on your side and nobody else's. You're the "good guys" so to speak, and that makes the rest of us evil heathens. So I think that, at least with foreign affairs, it is very inappropriate.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Remove the hypocrisy. If you want countries to have free and fair elections, let the UN inspectors in on your own. If a group you don't like wins a free and fair election, after you've banged on about it, then talk to them and don't withhold aid. They are the legitimate government, even if you think they are terrorists.

You're going to need it, every other country in the world is doing this.

On the same lines: force your cars to be as good as the Europeans.

On Firearms its entirely up to you, that you can't control them doesn't affect anyone else.

EDIT:

I completely agree with that.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Interesting, I've never seen it that way. From my point of view, USAmericans and USAmerican politicians look and sound like complete morons... when they invoke this whole God (bless America, etc) thing. If God existed, I don't know why he'd be interested in a particular nation - God is as small minded as the mind that conceives of him/her/it, eh? ...

I guess the rhetoric does make America sound like a nation of crusaders...wait!:D

About public transportation: I don't know if either of you have been anyplace outside of a large city in the US, but the problem is HUGE. USAmerica was built around the car. Implementing an effective form of public transport in many areas is going to be extremely difficult as it will require a huge shift in the way space is conceived in the US. In the "city" I live in, I think the only viable option would be tram-ways a-la Amsterdam.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I love it here, which is why I criticize it so much. I want to keep it good. Or in the current case, make it good again. When I see things going wrong, I do my duty as a citizen to disagree with it and illuminate others. I fully expect those in other countries to do the same. May not always agree with them, but that's the point.

16. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

The problem with an extensive public transportation system in America is not as much that transportation plans were designed around the car (which they were), it is that this really is a vast country compared to Europe, and much of it is still very rural in nature and is not as densely populated. I am not entirely sure it would work out that well. For example, I live in an area that is 60 minutes north of philadelphia, and 90 minutes south of NYC. I have a 30 minute drive to get to any store of any kind, and until recently had a 15 minute drive to get to a gas station. MUCH of our country is like this, and connecting parts like this with a public transportation system that is convienient (for me it would have to operate 24 hours), would be next to impossible.