Non unibody 17" MagSafe adapter fine on 15" unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shiny-blanket, May 3, 2009.

1. shiny-blanket macrumors member

It's the 85W model. Will this be fine to charge a current 15"?
    It looks larger than the current adapter.

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Yes is will work. I sold my three month old MBP to my brother and I bought a unibody. I gave him the new charging adapter and I took my old one. Neither of us has had an issue.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As far as i know the internals of the power adapters haven't been changed between the unibodies and non-unibodies. The smaller brick was introduced because of some safety issues with the cord plastic around the magsafe plug itself, I guess they also took some time to make the brick smaller.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I believe that the smaller brick is a 65w made for the MacBook. Not the MBP. I don't know what the output is on the 65w. Maybe it would work but I would not advise doing it. Especially for a long time. The power draw on the MBP is probably more than the 65w can handle for any length of time. I could be wrong. But why risk a $2k+ computer on it.

The old MBP power cord is interchangable with the new one. I am doing it and have been doing it. No issues...

5. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I have two sizes of 85W power modules: The one with Model no. A1172 is larger then the Model no. A1222. I use both with the late 2008 15" MBP.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are two distinct sizes of brick for the Macbook Pro; the older one is larger and was distributed in 2006 when I got my machine. The newer 85W adapter has a smaller brick and must have been distributed sometime around 2008 or before, because that's when my old one melted and I exchanged it.

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Gotcha... I only knew what I have from the current and last 2 generations of MBP's. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

8. Bobacus macrumors newbie

I've actually seen a unibody and 8600gt 15 inch macbook pro turn off because the battery drained all the way down while we had it plugged into a 65w power adaptor. We were gaming inside windows though, so we were pushing the laptops pretty hard.