Non-Upgraders: What are you buying instead of a new phone this year?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
This is intended as a fun topic so no offense to anyone. A lot of people put money aside for their annual upgrade and and are now finding themselves with some extra money. So for those who decided to skip this year and wait for the X² then what do you plan to do with the money you're saving?

My list looks like this so far:

- 65" OLED 4k TV. (With Movies Anywhere and iTunes 4k then i think its time)
- iPad Pro 10.5 (But I feel like next year will have FaceID...)
- Home Tech stuff (Cameras, Thermostats and Lights etc.)
- HomePod? (I have a few Echo's already but I do like Apple's version of stuff)

Anyway, I do have to say that seeing how much we save by skipping a year is nice. So I'm curious what everyone else plans to do. :D

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I already bought a series 3 non-LTE Apple Watch. It’s my first Apple Watch and I love it!

Other than that, our upstairs TV is on its way out, so we’ll be checking out Black Friday deals for a new one. Not entirely upset to see it go

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
The North
Just yesterday I got myself a new receiver and a set of speakers. Much more fun to play with those than a new phone, as my 7 is still going strong as ever.

Oh yes, and on the way home from the hifi-store I also bought a bottle of whisky. Which I'm now in the process of enjoying.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
My 7plus is running smoothly, I collect sports memorabilia and attend autograph signings like twice a year in Va so that 1000.00 I save from not buying the phone will get me quite a few items and get me a few autos that I need for my team book I’m having signed. But good luck to everyone tomorrow I’ll be watching and following.

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
A iPhone 7 plus 256 gb model, and a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus...honestly.

I moved from an iPhone 6 plus to Samsung S8+, got a mint version used on eBay for $540. Realized I couldn't leave iMessage so bought a used (only a few scratches on back otherwise mint) iPhone 7+ 256gb model for $561 grand total $1001 shipped

Crazy to think you can get two almost new phones for the price of an iPhone X. Gonna sell the S8+ back on eBay, the iPhone 7+ is still am amazing phone.

Reactions: Applejuiced
A iPhone 7 plus 256 gb model, and a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus...honestly.

I moved from an iPhone 6 plus to Samsung S8+, got a mint version used on eBay for $540. Realized I couldn't leave iMessage so bought a used (only a few scratches on back otherwise mint) iPhone 7+ 256gb model for $561 grand total $1001 shipped

Crazy to think you can get two almost new phones for the price of an iPhone X. Gonna sell the S8+ back on eBay, the iPhone 7+ is still am amazing phone.
imessage was great when my wife had an iphone because we could still message each other while i was on a flight. since she switched to the samsung galaxy s8 we started using google hangouts which i prefer over imessage since i can use the app on my computers and my work ipad as well.

Reactions: MC355