non-US credit card in Apple Store and hotel shipping

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rouggie, Oct 14, 2017.

1. rouggie macrumors newbie

A friend of mine is traveling to the US next week and thought I’d ask him to fetch me a IPhone 7, my iphone 5 has seen better days and with the release of the 8 and X prices are looking tempting for an upgrade…over here (Uruguay) iphones go for around 2 times the price lol

Since I don’t want it to be a drag for him I thought I’d buy it online and had it delivered to his hotel, I have already dond this several times (mainly with amazon) and had no issues with it.

A few concerns:

1- Can I buy in US Apple Store with my international credit card? I don’t see my country in billing address options…should I put the hotel one?

2 - Will Apple ship to a hotel address?

3 - Any issue with having my friends name in shipping address but mine on billing one? The shipping should be on his name for hotel management reasons but I will be using my credit card.

I been also looking into other possible sellers but didnt find any that feels trustworthy, and amazon is just a mess, most are not very clear wheter its new or ref and prices are all over the place, all being higher than apples

2. Nacket, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

1- If it is within any of the Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or UnionPay networks and your card issuer permits international purchases, then yes.
    2- Ask the hotel, YMMV.
    3- No.

Edit: If you don’t see your country in the menu, I would give Apple a call. Are you buying it online or in-store with said card?

3. rouggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

i would be buying it online and have it shipped to the hotel he’ll be staying in. He already asked the hotel and they said any package that arrives with his name would be recived by the front desk and handed to him upon checkin.

I have a Visa, Master and paypal; all international and used before in amazon and other international shops without any problems...I just find it odd that I cant put my real address as billing address. Only see around 10 countries in the drop down menu

4. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

If your friend is going to be in a city with an apple store, I would investigate whether the phone could be collected by him in person at the store.

You never know with hotel staff....and once it's gone, it would be a real pain to make things right again.

5. rouggie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that would be the best, I know. I could even hand him the money and he could buy it in person for me also solving the credit card issue, I know for a fact you can use any international card when you buy it in person.

Thing is I dont want him to waste time on this, when you travel you never have enought time to do all you would want to and dont want my shopping to be a burden