All iPads None of my coworkers realize Mini 3 is "old." They don't even know what an A8 is.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I work for a financial services company and we were talking about the iPad. None of them know anything about the iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2 or the iPad Mini 3 beyond the fact that it is the latest model and the different sizes. These are not dumb people, they are not super smart people, they are your everyday normal people in an office environment. Normal people where some are single in their twenties, some have kids who are in their twenties, some are newlyweds, etc.

Explaining that the Mini 3 is the same thing as the Mini 2 except it has Touch ID does nothing for them. Explaining that the iPad Air 2 has an A8X over the iPad Air 1's A7 does nothing for them. Let's not even get started on the 1GB vs 2GB RAM difference.

Apple makes sure that most of their yearly upgrades are substantial, but the fact of the matter is... they don't have to. The general public (people who aren't on MR all day) don't know and more importantly, DON'T CARE, about the specs.

In a way, I can actually see where they are coming from. If I have $75,000 to buy a new car, I want a new BMW. All I know is that I want a 2014 model with top options. Having a car enthusiast come up to me and say the Audi is better because it has a 1.0L bigger engine and 50 more horsepower doesn't mean jack to me because I'm not a car enthusiast. Same goes with most people and Apple products.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Life is so much richer and fulfilling when you understand tech specs

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I guess there's going to be a lot of Mini 3 stocking stuffers seeing that most of the public don't care/know about the internals.

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Yep, it's the reason why 99% of the people here saying "Apple is doomed" are completely wrong. Every complaint about the hardware/software decisions Apple makes is meaningless because we are the minority.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It's only techies like us that focus on things like that. Most people don't know or care what chipset is in their iPhone/iPad. All they know is that it's the latest one. Some don't even know that.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

None of my coworkers even know there's a website where people discuss ipad ram.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Surely tech specs aren't the most important factor for many iPad customers.
    IPad mini 3 is a good upgrade for iPad mini owners, but a marginal one for iPad mini retina owners.

9. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

Agree, if you have an Ipad mini (A5) the new ipad mini will be a nice upgrade, if you didn't have in the past any ipad mini maybe the mini retina(A7) will be the best considering the price

10. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I agree 100%.

Even though the update to the retina mini was not substantial this year, I'm predicting they will sell like hotcakes. The average customer purchasing an iPad probably has no idea the retina mini has a color gamut that is vastly inferior to just about every other premium tablet sold.....they will buy it and they will enjoy it....never knowing the difference.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Apple knows most people don't care about specs, that why it sells the "experience" of its products and so the average consumer just wants the latest product.

12. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I saw on Amazon that people are selling the 64gb iPad Air 2's $100 higher than Apple! Why? Because it used to be that the 64gb iPad WIFI was $699. So clueless people who don't know any better are buying them! Can you believe that?

13. Dan70 macrumors regular

I love my iPad Mini 3 and have absolutely no idea what colour gamut is.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The people found on forums in any industry or product are generally the minority. The expectations are very high here and many times unreasonable. We have people here actively looking to complain or find something wrong with an item. Sometimes I read the posts here and am glad the rest of the world isn't like that! :eek:

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You don't need to explain the A7 chip, RAM, etc. to them. You just tell your fellow finance coworkers that it's the same iPad mini as the last year's model plus a Touch ID button and it's $100 more expensive than the equivalent storage model of last year's. I guess people in finance will easily understand that.

16. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

17. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

And when you don't see things the way they do, you're a sheep. If it's not good for them, it's not good for anyone! :rolleyes:

19. DSTOFEL, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I loved my Mini (original) and Mini Retina (2) as well, but I didn't love the washed out/muted and limited colors on each. Here is a good site explaining the whole color gamut issue with the Mini's (1, 2 & 3):

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad6_ShootOut.htm

20. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Why?

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Everyone has their reasons for what they get. I chose the Mini 3 because it was time to replace my original Mini and they didn't offer bigger than 32GB in the Mini 2 (Traded in items, Apple store credit).

I also like my 5c and recently purchased 5s. Returned my iPhone 6. It was defective and I didn't like it enough to trade it out for another one anyways.

Everyone does what they think will fit them. They do what will make themselves happy. They'll do what they want. That's all there is to it, isn't it?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good lord, if you continue with such logic this place will fall down.

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

So? My neighbors 17 yr old daughter cannot change out a flat tire on her car. She calls dad and waits for him to do it. Lots of people don't know a lot of things.

24. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Your title leads me to believe that you are frustrated becuase not everyone actually knows what is in the devices they own/the devices on the market. Not to sound rude, but we are the minority, we who frequent the forums and know how technology works. My closest friends, who ironically use PCs, scold me for not knowing the parts in my Mac/how it works, but they can't name all of the parts required for a computer to operate. We are the minority. The truth hurts us: the rest of the world really doesn't give a **** as long as it works.

25. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

If you don't drive and consider an Audi you are just like those uninformed boobs you mentioned. Tech boob or Automotive boob? Being an enthusiast of both genres, you're the bigger boob, IMO. Don't misunderstand I drive an M3 and love it, but I considered all comparable cars.