None of my iOS devices will show up in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xplnusa, May 28, 2013.

1. xplnusa macrumors regular

I've done the normal restart, close reboot everything and still nothing. When I plug any of my families iOS devices in iTunes will not find them at all. They don't show up and say not recognized or anything. I can see that they're charging but thats it.

I tried searching for forum for something similar but was unable to find any threads that might lead to a solution.

TIA for your help.

Heath

2. hewhodareswins macrumors newbie

hewhodareswins

ive had similar problems but never figured out on fixing it so Ive just left it as it is :/

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How are you connecting them? Straight into the Computer or using a Hub? Try connecting them direct or a different cable. If its more than one iOS device whats happened since you last were able to? Are you on a Mac or PC?

4. xplnusa, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I have cables both running to to the iMac and some through a hub. Neither work. Running a Mac, all apps running latest updates on iTunes and ML. I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of since the last time I was able to sync them. Last time I remember doing a sync was last week sometime.

----------

Also if it helps, iPhoto can see the devices but iMovie can't.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try removing the hub and connect them directly to the Mac. If one USB port doesn't work, try another. Also, check to make sure that in iTunes > Preferences > Devices you have "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" unchecked.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Have you updated iTunes since last week? I can't remember when it got updated, but it wasn't that long ago. I have to say I'm stumped. I've never had that issue. If you plug them in with iTunes open you get no message or anything?

7. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, it was unchecked. I did also try toggling it and open/close iTunes... Still no luck.

----------

The last think I remember doing was using iMovie to pull video's off my wife's iPhone and then syncing that same phone with iPhoto as well.

When I go into the settings in my iPhone settings>general>iTunes Wi-Fi Sync it says it will sync when it finds my iMac again... :(

When I look up iCloud it can find my iMac just fine... Hence the continued confusion....

8. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and it says its looking for my iMac (2)... Its listed that (2) ever since the recalled HDD was replaced back in feb or so, its been working great ever since, until this last week.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Have you tried de-authorising your iMac (or even all your computers) and then reauthorising? I think the (2) is because it's still classing your first HD as a separate computer. If you have 5 different authorised computers then that could be your problem. Worth a try I would have thought.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

10. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that a whirl, thanks. I'm just stumped. I have looked and poked and prodded every place that I can possibly think of and I'm at a complete loss. As we all know this is amazingly important to get fixed as I'm sure just like most others I have one machine that I sync and house everything on and then also have a TM backup as well, but w/o doing backups Im hosed, I can't even offload my videos.

11. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

NADA... :( they're not showing up as a device in finder either. I can only imagine that its a setting somewhere...

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Then I'm stumped as well. Have you tried emailing apple for support? They are pretty good.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/contact/

13. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up using the chat support. They tried a few things, and then had me reinstall iTunes from apple.com and low and behold seems to have worked!

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Glad you got there in the end!

15. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully this will help someone else if they end up in this same situation.