[noob alert!] Fit an SSD to my 2011 iMac-What about the OS?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Azzin, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Hi gurus! :D

I'm really happy with my iMac, but having just replaced the HDD in my W7 laptop with an SSD, I'm tempted to do the same for my iMac.

I found a guide ( http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...c-os-x-lion-virtual-machine-inside-windows-7/ ) and the install seems "ok", but my question is about the OS.

So once I've added an SSD to it, presumably I want to install Lion on it and use it as the boot drive, with the 1TB drive then being used as a storage drive?

How would I then install it?

Would I have to buy a bootable Lion flash drive, install it on the SSD and simply format the 1TB drive?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

Excellent, thank you. :)

Presumably then all I need to do is format the 1TB internal drive?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yep. Have you already looked at similar threads about 2011 iMacs, as Apple made replacing the HDD a bit more complicated, which might not apply for SSDs though.

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

I'm planning to use the guide in my 1st post.

6. simsaladimbamba

But what does that guide have to do with an iMac and an SSD replacement?

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

8. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Scratch all the above - Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your existing install to the SSD. Install the SSD in the iMac as per the guide and then boot your Mac it will load into Lion and you can then download CCC and whizz pop bang it's done. Select your startup disk in sys preferences, restart, use disk utility to format the 1TB drive and thats it.

9. Impede, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Impede macrumors newbie

Word on the street is, a fresh OS install is the way to go with an SSD. Carbon Copy cloner is great for a platter drive, but it appears there is an odd performance drop on the SSD if you clone to it.

Do the fresh install on the SSD, and use migration assistant to move your apps over.

I'll try to find the article about the performance drop.

**** found it ****

"Testing boot speed on our PC is easy. We simply clone a boot drive using Acronis True Home Image. We've already done the comparison with a native Windows 7 DVD-based install and know the results are the same. So, cloning is a real time-saver.

The MacBook Pro isn't as easy, though. At first, we tried cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner. The results weren't good, though. When we cloned our hard drive onto SSDs, boot times actually increased, so we scratched that approach. It's also not possible to swap drives between the MacBook Pro 8,1 and MacBook Pro 7,1 without incurring a performance penalty. As a result, we had to perform native installations of OS X 10.7.2 from our Lion USB Key on each MacBook Pro."

(Side note: IF you are not using a Sandforce based SSD, you may be able to disregard this post)

10. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I've done clones on all machines with ssd swaps. No performance hit at all. You need to use a app called TRIM enabler on all non-apple ssd's but other than that it's the same as cloning to a traditional platter drive.

You find issues if you clone a Macbook Air system for instance and use that cloned disk in a iMac.

11. Impede macrumors newbie

If a fairly reputable benchmarking site said they found a performance hit doing it, I'd be willing to avoid it by doing a fresh install. To each their own I suppose.

12. Impede macrumors newbie

That is in fact a Sandforce based drive. I have one in my machine now too, pretty snazzy.

13. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

That's what I put in my Dell D630, what a difference... :eek:

Ok to put one in my iMac?

14. All Taken macrumors 6502a

15. Impede macrumors newbie

Yup, works fine in either a PC or Mac, the article i was referencing indicates there is a performance loss if you CLONE your OS to the drive on the mac.

If it were me, i would do a fresh install of Lion on the SSD when you install it.
    But you could clone it if thats easier for you.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

17. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

I'm going to do a clean install, thanks everyone. :)

18. therivenman macrumors newbie

19. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin