NooB needs help!!...iPhone 5 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blittle1221, Sep 22, 2012.

1. blittle1221 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Please help if you can as I'm not to familiar with this process and I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I used my early upgrade yesterday at an AT&T store yesterday for the iPhone 5 64gb so I paid roughly $688.00 with tax.

I told the sales rep that I didn't want him to open the original box/phone and not to activate it as I was going to sell it. He said ok and he'll just switch everything back on my account back to the 4S after I purchase the 5. He ended up giving me a new SIM card for my 4S as I guess when he scanned the new phone it deactivated my SIM on the 4S and I have no issues with it now. Logged on to my AT&T account later and it still shows the 4S etc with no reference to me owning the 5. Also shows I can't upgrade again until april of 14' so I know the contract was obviously extended.

Long story short, he said I don't have to activate it to sell it and whoever buys it (AT&T customer I'm sure) can activate it without any issues. Is this accurate? I thought the original person that buys it has to activate it using their last 4 of their SS# and zip code?? Or is mine like someone just walking into a store and them pulling a new 5 off the shelf and activating it cause he said it wasn't linked to me or my account at all. Any and all help is greatly appreciated it as I don't want to sell the phone to someone then they claim they need my information. Thanks guys. -Mike

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

You might want to inform the seller to get a new nano sim. Usually the phone number is tied to the iccid of the sim and it could be possible that it will still show your number when they try to activate and thus confusing them

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have no idea. I'm just stunned that you burned up an upgrade (AND paid an extra $250) to sell the new phone. I hope whatever profit you get is worth it.

4. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Milk, he said he something like he didn't have to enter the new SIM in the computer thus making the SIM good to go for someone. But I'll let them know as well when I sell it just in case. But everything else is good to go for the person buying it? Is it true they don't need my info from what he told me?

@Grey..I know I know. Now that I physically have it, I'm so tempted just to open it up and use it myself but I could use a nice a little profit gain.

5. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Can anyone else offer their advice if I need to activate it prior to selling it even though the "att rep" told me he switched back all my info on my account to the 4s so in essence I guess the actual new phone isn't tied to my account? Thanks

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why not call AT&T and ask them? That way you know for sure.

7. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought I could get a quick answer of these boards plus that's what the att guy told me at the store but I've read conflicting stories.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Something is wrong here. I thought the prices were 199/299/399 for 16/32/64 phones. How did you pay $688?

Since you are a NOOB, you do know you will not be able to do another upgrade for 2 years, right?

And, since you are NOOB, you should know that adding a descriptive title helps you get help.

9. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

It sounds like he did the "early upgrade/iPhone discount". I think AT&T lets customers buy an iPhone at a "discounted" price because they are close, but not totally eligible for an upgrade.

10. blittle1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I paid $688.00 cause I did the early upgrade. $399 for the phone +250 and tax. I'm not concerned about my next upgrade status right now. And yes I should have been more descriptive. I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out the true answer though.